Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New2DX

Questions about alphablending refering to Jim's RPG book

Hi i am going through chapt 6 particle and i have a few question i hope someone will answer me thanks. 1stly, why when i disable alphablending and remove setmaterial all the app shows are black rectangles moving around..y isn't it the texture that is shown ? the texture is a black background with a circular gradient white circle at the center.. 2nd ) can someone pls explain to me the reason this two blending mode is being used to achieve the effect..: g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA); g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE); from what i understand the material is the provide the color..how does these two mode works ? where is the alpha info of the texture ? in the texture ? 3) why do i have to set ambience to highest to see all the particles thanks [edited by - new2dx on December 23, 2002 10:16:20 AM]

You might want to disable lighting before rendering your particles. Also, you can mix alpha blending modes. Another popular set of blending flags is:

pDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCCOLOR);
pDevice->SetRenderState(D3DTS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_DESTCOLOR);

The SetMaterial call changes the color when using lighting.

[500x1]

Guest Anonymous Poster
hi thanks alot for your reply.. i don''t understand why the black is rendered transparent for the texture..is it cause by the two renderstate ? how ? sorry ..thanks alot for reply..

does not directx use 50-50 alpha if no alpha is specified when blending with those states enabled? i didnt think you needed to specify alpha info when doing simple blends :S

You should never really assume a default, as render states can change radically during execution. A driver may decide to use a render state that a background task is using at the same time as yours, or the driver can change render states to something it considers default...

[500x2]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Qatal
does not directx use 50-50 alpha if no alpha is specified when blending with those states enabled? i didnt think you needed to specify alpha info when doing simple blends :S

thanks..sorry but i still don''t understand y the black is transparent in the particle sample..

g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);
<- whats the source alpha ?

g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE);