GUI lib you'd suggest

Started by
7 comments, last by Caesar 21 years, 3 months ago
Hi, first of all, I''m not sure about which forum to put this in, this one seems to be the most accurate. Sorry if you consider this OT. I need some good GUI library, I need this properties - freeware (GNU and such, gonna be non commercial project) - fully in graphics, preferably DirectDraw/D3D - support for SOME kind of fonts, preferably true type - able to run fullscreen or to be run fullscreen - Win32 platform - wide choice of items (multicolumn listview, sortable, radio buttons, etc etc.) - some customisation or a owner-draw like style apperciated - mouse/keyboard, focus - editor for dialogs is a BIG plus I know my need aren''t modest. Hope somebody of you knows about a good one I could use. Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
its not a lib but couldnt you use MFC? sounds like thats what you want.
No, I don''t want to use MFC, cause I need a GUI that in it''s nature is fully graphical (read bitmap based/nicer to look at) and that is easier to work with (sorry, I simply don''t enjoy programming MFC and I''m not good at it as well).

Thanks for reply
Not alot of those exist because they would have to assume too much on how everything looks. Usually coders prefer to make their own for this reason. Besides that, if your using DirectX your using windows, so GUI routines are at hand.
That's just my understanding; I could be wrong.
SDL + ParaGUI *should* be able to create some simpler stuff...
www.libsdl.org
www.paragui.org
to be honest, i don´t know the status of paragui, but it´s a skinnable gui running on top of opengl. directx is a no-no.

jashiin.
-----------------
http://www.pidelipom.com/jolsson/
How about looking through the libraries section of www.libsdl.org, or try www.clanlib.org. Clanlib include OpenGL and GUI support.

http://www.stodge.net - the powerhouse in personal commentary
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Thanks, will have a look.

mind code: I''ve tried to write some GUI stuff but it''s just about rewriting all the windows stuff. I had made it to a state when all I needed to do was to write the controls. But that''s too much work (in case there''s a chance somebody else already has done this). Just writing a sortable clickable multicolumn listview takes a lot of time, not mentioning you want to have some good OO hierarchy in it. And as for using Windows'' GUI with DX, the problem is that it''s not that easy to use as it could be (skinning takes hours, writing takes hours) and if you''re not a win ui guru, you''re supposed to burn in hell (I''ve written a acdsee like app in pure winapi once and it took me (I was a begginer) 2 month to make it work (including pure winapi drag & drop).

Any others?

Thanks.
For a game, I would recommend ClanLib's GUI - very, very cool themable GUI.

Other than that ... well, it's not game or bitmap biased, but wxWindows is the best x-platform GUI system I've used to date.

Tom L

[edit grammar]

[edited by - krumms on December 23, 2002 11:42:08 PM]
refrain_from_stupidity( &me );
I would suggest CLanlib, but good luck using it, as it''s still in development and isn''t even v1.0.

And, a quick question about Clanlib, do they have any .a libraries available? I don''t have/want to use VC++, I''d much rather use Dev-C++, and it doesn''t support the .lib files which are the only ones I can find.

"aut viam inveniam aut faciam" - I will either find a way or make one.

MoonStar Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement