Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tones2

DX9 - D3DXComputeBoundingSphere?

I''m trying to convert an engine from DX8.1 to DX9 and one thing has got me STUMPED. Te D3DXComputeBoundingSphere() function has changed in DX9 and is now defined as follows: HRESULT D3DXComputeBoundingSphere( LPD3DXVECTOR3 pFirstPosition, DWORD NumVertices, DWORD dwStride, D3DXVECTOR3 *pCenter, FLOAT *pRadius ); In DX8, the first parameter was the actual vertices of the mesh. Now, in DX9, I''m not at all sure what the first parameter means, nor how to feed the function the actual mesh vertices (since it''s no longer a parameter). Can ANYONE please HELP!! Tony

Tip:

When an API appears to change, do a Find In Files on the samples which come with the SDK to see how to use the changed function.

Doing that and looking at the EnhancedMesh sample found as a result of the search reveals:

hr = pVB->Lock( 0, 0, &pVertices, 0 );
if( FAILED(hr) )
{
SAFE_RELEASE( pVB );
return hr;
}

hr = D3DXComputeBoundingSphere( (D3DXVECTOR3*)pVertices, m_pMeshSysMem->GetNumVertices(),
D3DXGetFVFVertexSize(m_pMeshSysMem->GetFVF()), &m_vObjectCenter,
&m_fObjectRadius );

i.e. all they''ve done is made it a tad more type safe so that the compiler will catch silly mistakes which it wouldn''t have with a (nasty) void pointer in DX8.

So basically just point it to the first "position" vector in the vertex data (in the code snippet above, the vertex format has positions first in each vertex so the start of the locked VB data is passed).

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com