directx and vc++ code completion

Started by
3 comments, last by Qatal 21 years, 4 months ago
back when I used Delphi for my directx-isms, we had this nifty feature called code completion, *and* it worked properly with COM interfaces. now that i''ve moved to vc++6, i have noticed taht sometimes code completion works, and sometimes it doesnt. in particular, it doesnt work with any directx com interfaces except the first version of each. am i doing something wrong, or does everyone have to keep their sdk docs open while they work so they can find out the parameter lists? any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Qatal
die or be died...i think
Advertisement
Although I''m not sure about DX9, the way I did it in 8 was to make a project with all the DirectX headers and add it to my workspace whenever I needed it. I use VC.NET now which seems to work better though.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
ok. sounds like a good thing. i will have to try it.

why do the original interfaces (ones that came packaged with vc++) work and the new ones not? does vc++ have some kind of weird hooking system to work out what files to look up for the code completion?
die or be died...i think
quote:why do the original interfaces (ones that came packaged with vc++) work and the new ones not? does vc++ have some kind of weird hooking system to work out what files to look up for the code completion?

Nothing that complex - it just seems that the IntelliSense feature in MSVC 6 often/always ignores the user configured search order specified in Tools->Options->Directories.

A common alternative to including the relevent headers in your project if you really want IntelliSense to work all of the time (and some other stuff) is to use VisualAssist from Whole Tomato.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

thanks

looks good..downloaded it and it works great

but as im always on the cheap, is there an alternative that doesnt expire?

die or be died...i think

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement