Engine test, wheeeeee!

Started by
11 comments, last by LockePick 21 years, 3 months ago
Hehe Yet another engine to look at. I need to see what sorts of framerates people get with what I have so far. I''m on a pretty buffed up system, so I don''t want to overshoot myself too much. It''d also be nice to see whether it''s more dependent on CPU, GPU, and whether RAM makes a big difference. Notes before downloading: - You video card must support multi-texturing to run this. - Your monitor must support 1024x768 resolution (in fullscreen). - The file is 4.1 MB Here''s the link (Filefront server) Controls: - a,s,d,w moves around. - space is jump, you can hit it repeatedly to fly but that''s just for testing purposes (or if you fall into the canyon) - mouse looks around - F9 takes a screenshot (please try this twice and check if it worked, it will go into the "Screens" folder) - Escape quits Help me out and respond with any or all of these: - Your computer specs - Whether or not it ran - Any bugs (does the text show up? does the gui work? (image in bottom left and circle in top right) Did you have any collision problems? Do any of the graphics look really weird? Does the lighting look okay?) - Your FPS (highest, lowest, average, whether or not it was playable at whatever framerate you got) - How long it took to load up, approximately. Few seconds? Few minutes? Thanks for your time, tell me what you think! ------------ MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155 "It''s all part of the conspiracy of conspirators conspiring to conspire their own conspiracies..."
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Advertisement
That engine looks nice, and it ran decent on my computer, though I am thinking the FPS is quite low do you have any PVS or frustum culling support in yet?

Here is my system:
AMD XP 1600+
Radeon 8500 64mb DDR
256 DDR PC 2100

Average FPS: 47ish
High FPS: 50ish
Low FPS: 45ish

So you have a solid engine it looks like, just try to work on that frame rate a bit.

How many polys were in that scene?
------------------------"If it says it loves me, how can it be a virus?"
I started it up and a scene flashed, and then everything was darkblue.... o.O
I couldn''t jump either (judging by the yposition values)

umm...
It said average FPS was 15
I started it up and a scene flashed, and then everything was darkblue.... o.O
I couldn''t jump either (judging by the yposition values)

umm...
It said average FPS was 15
nnice engine...
umm the guy turns to slow, and uh if u hit jump repetively, you continue to jump, therefore you can jump indefinately...
nice engine though

avg fps was 47ish

athlon xp 1600+
geforce2 ultra 64mb
512mb ddr pc2100 ram

ya work on the fps...too

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

[edited by - Krisc on December 24, 2002 12:52:46 PM]
Can''t see any of the text (if there is supposed to be some) so can''t give FPS, ran nice and smooth though. Apart from the text the GUI was fine. The landscape wasn''t textured if it was meant to be. Lighting showed up fine.

AthlonXP 1800
256MB DDR
KyroII 32MB
Win2000

Good work, keep it up
pplante>
Thanks.
There is frustum culling, but the geometry isn''t divided properly yet. So it''s rendering the entire terrain (and more importantly) checking for collision with the entire terrain.

Sky>
Hmm, sounds like you fell through the terrain. It''s probably tied to the low framerate, good thing to know. Thanks.

Krisc>
Thank you.
Yes I know you can keep jumping, says that in my first post.
The guy turns too slowly? Ah, yeah not all movement is time-based yet. I''ve been getting some problems with that.
It''s interesting that you got the same framerate as pplante, I guess it is very CPU dependent (probably due to my collision code).

JuNC>
Everything else was textured? Hmm, maybe you ran out of memory for it? The textures are bigger than they need to be. I can''t think of any reason for the terrain to be treated different from the other models...
No text, hmm, do you have the Arial font?

Okay, well thanks everyone so far for trying it out. I think once I implement some better geometry organization I''ll be able to reduce the amount of collision checks, which should take a lot of load off the CPU. I''ll also get to fixing the time-based problems and reducing the texture size.

------------
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
"It''s all part of the conspiracy of conspirators conspiring to conspire their own conspiracies..."
Well what can i say i didn''t get very good results, probably beacuse of my crapy computer (500 MHz, 16 meg Riva TNT, 256 Meg RAM)

It runs the engine. But all i can see is the Hud, the rest of the screen is blue.

Don''t u think your textrues are a bit TOOOOOO BIG !!!!!!!!!!! ????
You''ve only got 9mb total textures in the tex directory, even if it''s doing something really weird I doubt its eating the whole 32 meg + AGP mem. Is it using multitexture or doing multiple passes? There are some issues with the KyroII and multitexture/z-buffer weirdness which are kinda fixed in the DirectX drivers but possibly not in the OpenGL (I assume the engine is using OGL?)
snisarenko>
Yeah, same problem for Sky. I know what it is for sure now.
The textures are too big, but at least this really pushes the hardware so I can see how much of a difference future optimizations do on different machines.

JuNC>
This level isn''t actually using multi-texturing.
It could be taking up all the memory, because I''m using Display Lists for rendering which goes straight into video memery (AFAIK?). Then again I load the terrain before the other models, so it would be weird for it to run out then and still be able to load things...
The only unusual thing about the terrain is that I use the engine to repeat the texture across it. I don''t think that would cause problems either because other models have UV coordinates over 1/under 0... It''s weird all right.

------------
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
"It''s all part of the conspiracy of conspirators conspiring to conspire their own conspiracies..."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement