some advice please

Started by
10 comments, last by patroclus02 21 years, 3 months ago
I want to make a side-scrolling platform-game, but I wanted to know what compiler and tools I should use for. I always used Borland Delphi and some Basic, and I never used C/C++. I already have a demo of the engine made on Delphi and DelphiX (kind of DirectX libraries)... but I don''t know if it is better to start again with another tools, or if these are ok. Any advice please?
Advertisement
I personally use VC++ 6 and straight DirectX calls.
If you have used Delphi before then use it. There have been a few mario style platform games written in Delphi, Eg Joffa.

What is the demo engine you have got. Have you got a url for it. I''m looking for examples, etc myself.

Thanks and good luck.

balog
Well, I use Tile Studio to design my game (because it''s easy to use and some friends of mine, that do not know how to program, can help me).
The engine is a modification/adaptation of an example given in the home page of this program. I added the jump and some rudimentary physics, and parallax scrolling.

Though, I have so much work to do. I''m also looking for examples or help...
I like Borland C++ 5.5 (the free command line compiler), I also like Turbo C++ (for Real Mode programs).

TASM is my favorite Assembler.

I''ll probably use SDL sometime in the future for graphics, it looks very good and it "Wraps" just about every platform worth developing for so it is very portable.
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
patroclus02,

any chance you could post the example. Would be great to have a look at it.

Thanks,

balog
http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

Here it is. Hope it helps. It''s the Tile Studio example.
And it uses DelphiX?
Scroll down the page, you''ll see some example programs for different programming languages.
there''s one for DelphiX. That''s the one.
Don''t use DelphiX, use the Jedi-Headers instead -> www.crazyentertainment.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement