best game of all times?

Started by
114 comments, last by Cherub 21 years, 3 months ago
I hold a lot of games close as being some of the best ever so I''ve taken the time to write which ones and why...

Metal Gear Solid 1
------------------------
Why:
I love a game that can suck me into its world and make me actually care if one of the characters dies or not. This game is by far one of those games. I still think about it, its plot, how I felt when I was playing it. When Sniper Wolf died I couldn''t help but feel sad, even though it was just a game. The music for is very well composed as well; it helps immerse you into the world that the game creates. And for all those who''ve beaten the game a few times over, I actually shed tears when Merrill died. Kind of odd, but that’s how I am. I can get into it enough to where it can affect my emotions like that. Aside from all of that, the controls where very easy to master. I had no trouble at all getting accustomed to them. The sound effects were very original and well suited for this game. The voice actors are talented and gave each character their own personality. There are quite a few weapons to choose from, many hours of game-play, alternate endings according to your own actions, and when you replay the game you get special items to aid you in kicking more butt the next time around. Another part of the game I liked was when you are at certain parts of the game it will interact with you in the real world via your controller (if you''ve played the game then you know what I''m talking about lol)

---------------------------------------------------

Space Quest 4
------------------------
Why:
What can I say? The Space Quest saga is by far the funniest set of games I''ve ever had the privilege of playing! But the one that stands out the most in my mind as being the funniest is definitely the 4th installment, Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers. To be exact, I''m referring to the CD-ROM version which was released that added voices to the characters. That game is full of so many hilarious one-liners I can''t even remember ''em all. Jeff Bender (voice of Roger Wilco) and Gary Owens (voice of the Narrator) are in my mind half the soul of the game itself. They, along with the other characters in the game, add a lot of humor to the game''s sort of dark atmosphere. When I''m 30 I''ll probably still look back and chuckle over quips like "It smells like something that wasn''t designed for noses.."

Full Throttle
------------------------
Why:
When you''re golden, you''re golden. The world of Full Throttle is forever. Its got a uniqueness all its own from its setting, and characters like Ben, Mo, Mr. Corley.. heck, even Ripburger. The music in this game is timeless, I can still go back and listen to it and be brought right back to the moment when I was actually in the game itself. Like Space Quest 4, it has many humorous one-liners which give it a nice touch. Even in a particularly dark part of the game there is comedy relief to those who want it. Lines like "I umm.. Fixed your door. It was sticking." after Ben kicked down the locked bar door are classic. I hear there''s a new Full Throttle coming out and I''m looking forward to it. I just hope it keeps some of its original appeal and stays true to the world its predecessor created. The controls were a piece of cake and very similar to the ones found in most games of the same genre. The art had its own style as well, game you a sense that everything was gritty and you didn''t really wanna touch it.

Privateer 1/ and Righteous Fire
----------------------------------------
Why:
This one sucks you in and keeps you in! With almost RPG style game-play, you traverse star systems in search of bigger and better guns, faster ships, and most of all... more cash. With randomly generated missions on the side to help you build yourself up and main plot missions to get you through the story line, Privateer 1 and Righteous Fire are by far my favorite space action/rpg games ever. In fact, just tonight I was trying to get it to work on my WinXP machine (no luck btw lol). While I can''t quite say as much about the characters and the plot for this game, the world in which it creates is very unique. When you play, you want to keep playing. You want that tachyon cannon over the pulse cannon you have now. Wanna smuggle illegal goods? Go for it! But make sure the feds don’t scan your cargo bay and find it or you''re in for some rough times. Want to be a space pirate? Buy a tractor beam and find merchant vessels! Blow them to hell and use the tractor beam to reel in the spoils of your victory, but make sure no bounty hunters or feds find you because you WILL get a price put on your head.

If I can think of any other games which I think are worthy of review then I''ll post some more, until then, merry Christmas.
Advertisement
1) FF7

2) Super Mario World

3) Diablo/Warcraft

4) Doom

5) Zelda(SNES)
Wing Commander and installments && spinoffs that did not have live acting

all sides: could you imagined my surprise when i heard the video game characters talk... to each other!! i was like WTF!! RPG-esque gameplay, decisions (reckless or skillful) determined immediate and far consequences... just a wonderful wonderful game

thanks neuro for the reminder!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

For me it''s Terranigma, i think it''s one of the best rpgs ever. Great graphics, great sound, great gameplay, a story that sucks you into the game... there are no bad things in this one.
Super Mario World: Pure magic. A great example of really good game design and innovative ideas, turning a tired concept into something fresh and original.

// Kanzetsu
// Kanzetsu
Ultima VII. Massive and detailed world. Involving story. Great soundtrack. Detailed (if unconventional) graphics. No load times. Many side-plots. Over 100hrs of gameplay.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Welcome to 3 months ago

Deus Ex

Edit: For every 10 times I post, 7 gives me *error 500*.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
1) Pirates! Gold

2) Wing Commander Series

3) Space Quest

4) Red Baron
Liero of course.
Me and my friend have played it every time I
have been at his home, for the past 2 years, and
it still rocks!
Quite intresting that most people post old titles. Is this because older games tend to have more playability, or that most are "childhood memories" (like christmas was better before etc.).

What does God want?
Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness?
Is a man who chooses the bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement