HTML & javascript

Started by
6 comments, last by Evil Bill 21 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I've got my own little forum system going, and it allows you to choose what colours certain parts of the forum are (background, text, table colours, etc.). At the moment, for each customisable colour, i allow the user to select a radio button from a group of 64 possibles, or to enter a custom colour (as a RRGGBB value). Most people who use my forum don't know how to use HTML, let alone convert yellow to hex or whatever, so i'd like to keep the large number of possible colours. The problem is the size of the HTML file. You can see it Here, all 164Kb of it... I was thinking, is it possible to have a button on a forum ("Pick" or something), so instead of having all the radio buttons, i'd have them on another HTML document. Then to choose the colour, you'd click the 'Pick' button, a popup window would open, and then when you click on another button ('Done' or whatever) on the popup window, it would close and fill in a field on the original document. Is that possible? Sorry for my crap explanation. What i'm trying to say is, is it possible to make a popup window, and then modify a value on the parents document? I've only used &#106avascript for basic stuff (Although i did a year of Java at uni), so i'm probablt missing something obvious. Edit: forgot to mention, this is all done with C++ CGI if that matters at all. Also, if you look at the source, you'll see <TBODY> tags in it, and also its indented. Anyone know where that came from? I certainly didn't put it there... Cheers [edited by - Evil Bill on December 24, 2002 8:47:47 AM]
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Advertisement
You can get the window that opened the popup using window.opener

Good stuff here:http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/

50% of people are below average.
Ah, cool, thanks

Ok, it works perfectly:

function OnDone(){   for(i=0; i<ColourList.RadioItem.length; i++)   {      if(ColourList.RadioItem[i].checked)      {         if(ColourList.RadioItem[i].value == ''X'')            window.opener.document.ColourForm1.ColourText.value = ColourList.RadioItemText.value;         else            window.opener.document.ColourForm1.ColourText.value = ColourList.RadioItem[i].value;         window.close();         return true;      }   }}  

New question: Is there a way to pass a value to this popup window? Because ive got over 10 different fields on the first HTML document that all need colours picked. The way i do it above is to set window.opener.document.ColourForm1.ColourText.value, but ColourText may be ColourBack, ColourTable, etc etc. Can i pass an input box to the popup window somehow?

Ah, its ok, i''ve got it.

From a user interface point, while the popup window is nice I wouldn''t call it the final solution to your problem. Large numbers of radio buttons are still bad, plus, as you mentioned, the hex entry is no good for a lot of people. What I might suggest is creating an image (color gradiant) with a &#106avascript function to tell where they clicked on it and change a preview box to the correct color (much like the Windows color picker).
Hmm... never thought of the colour gradient idea...
I''ll take a look at that methinks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

quote:Original post by Evil Bill
Hmm... never thought of the colour gradient idea...
I''ll take a look at that methinks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

http://&#106avascript.internet.com/miscellaneous/color-cube.html<br><br>Not a super pretty version, but it works. <br><br>~"What''''s this red button do?"
~"What''s this red button do?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement