Video Modes

Started by
11 comments, last by co-co 21 years, 3 months ago
Well, I am currently programming my own OS and I just can say there IS a way to get to higher Screen resolutions, the simple answer is VESA, just look into Ralph Browns for Vesa Video Interrupts...
Advertisement
Ok that was a lot more info than i was looking for.
So SDL it is... Yeah, I just wanted basically a way to plot
pixels. I want to make a 3d engine even if it''s slow and choppy
and not compatible with mdl and bsp files (another area i havne''t discovered) I just want to do it for practice. So basically I want to plot pixels in a nicer (higher res, more color) mode than mode x or mode 13.

Is that Lamoth''s windows game programming book any good? I have a few lamoth''s books and i''m familiar with his way of teaching... all wich are dos C books. no windows object oriented stuff.

Also, I''ve been reading up on Assembly (very complex) because i''ve haerd that it''s faster in the long run for things you are going to do many MANY times, like plotting pixels and other stuff.

Thanks for the replies, so many API''s out there... where to begin!
Ok that was a lot more info than i was looking for.
So SDL it is... Yeah, I just wanted basically a way to plot
pixels. I want to make a 3d engine even if it''s slow and choppy
and not compatible with mdl and bsp files (another area i havne''t discovered) I just want to do it for practice. So basically I want to plot pixels in a nicer (higher res, more color) mode than mode x or mode 13.

Is that Lamoth''s windows game programming book any good? I have a few lamoth''s books and i''m familiar with his way of teaching... all wich are dos C books. no windows object oriented stuff.

Also, I''ve been reading up on Assembly (very complex) because i''ve haerd that it''s faster in the long run for things you are going to do many MANY times, like plotting pixels and other stuff.

Thanks for the replies, so many API''s out there... where to begin!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement