Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dovyman

What data structure to use?

I have a text box that I'm creating for the UI in my game, and it can hold 10 lines of text. So I need some type of data structure to take up to ten lines, but if its totally filled and a new line is added, the last element is deleted and the the rest are bumped up by one and the new element is inserted at the beginning. I was trying to get this to work with vectors, but I can't figure out how to get my vector to take a full string. Heres the code I tried: void WriteBoxText() { std::vector::iterator iter; for(iter = stringVector.begin() ; iter != stringVector.end() ; ++iter) g_Font_small.OutputText(iter, 100, 100); } void AddLine(char* string) { static int x = 1; if(x == 10) { std::vector::iterator iter; iter = stringVector.end(); stringVector.erase(iter); x--; } stringVector.push_back(*string); x++; } //function definition for OutputText HRESULT CFont::OutputText( char* pString, int x, int y ); The errors: error C2664: 'OutputText' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'char (*)[20]' to 'char *' error C2664: 'push_back' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'char' to 'const char (&)[20]' Help me please! [edited by - dovyman on December 24, 2002 3:06:30 PM] [edited by - dovyman on December 24, 2002 3:10:06 PM]

You should use std::strings:

std::vector<std::string> stringVector;

void WriteBoxText()
{
std::vector<std::string>::iterator iter;
for(iter=stringVector.begin(); iter!=stringVector.end(); ++iter)
g_Font_small.OutputText(iter->c_str(), 100, 100);
}

void AddLine(const std::string& string)
{
static int x = 1;
if(x == 10)
{
std::vector<std::string>::iterator iter;
iter = stringVector.begin(); // begin(), not end()

stringVector.erase(iter);
x--;
}

stringVector.push_back(string);
x++;
}

HTTP 500 x7...

HTH