Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

co-co

OpenGL and DirextX Api's... Where do you get them?

I want the api''s for dirextx and opengl, the sdk''s i guess. I keep getting sent to some weird places and getting files that i''m not sure of. I''m new to this stuff so i wanna be sure i''m going to the right place, and getting a good start. Know a good place to go for these files and possibly more, and where i can get good info and help for it.

The DirectX SDK may be downloaded from microsoft. You''ll know it''s the right file because it''ll be freakin'' HUGE.

If you have MS Visual Studio, you already have the OpenGL SDK.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.

September.

An API is just a set of functions - you don''t ''get'' it from anywhere. You need the DLLs that those functions are kept in; but if you ever installed video drivers or the DirectX runtimes, then you''ve got those DLLs.

An SDK, on the other hand, teaches you how to use those functions. Docs, samples, etc.

You can get the whole DirectX SDK from msdn.microsoft.com, or you can try www.icarusindie.com - KalvinB split the SDK into smaller parts so you won''t be saddled with such a huge download.

The OpenGL SDK for Windows comes with the Platform (Win32) SDK - but you should also look for the OpenGL Red and Blue books. There''s no specific ''kit'' as such, but those online books should teach you everything you need to know about OpenGL development.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Neurokaotix you''re just a moron, don''t reply when you have nothing good to say. 3 months ago... last time you got laid perhaps? maybe that''s why you''re so hostile. Anyway...

Thanks for the help superpig. Much appreciated.

Neuro didn''t say anything it was infact Sneftel that asked that question I don''t see what is so hostile with what he said? Your the only one attacking people.