Understanding cg

Started by
14 comments, last by gimp 21 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I''m an old opengl coder who never really got time to look in to all that assembler shader stuff. Since cg has come out I''ve been ignoring that too, however the old GF2 needs replacement and I was looking at the GF-FX(in a few months). 1) From a programming perspective what can all this stuff really be used for? I''ve looked over a few shaders but I can''t seem to gauge the extents of this technology. Will it even replace the need for most textures perhaps by proceedurally creating them? 2) Is cg\shaders like a congruent method for performing special effects on a card? 3) Will this replace most of the requirements for all those Gl extentions? 4) If I add a cg block of code on a a surface in my game am I likely to run it on say most of the HW out there, if not, then what would happen on those machines? 5) How does this all fit in with OpenGL? Thanks for any answers. I have actually read some nVidia bumpf but all the ''industry leading'' marketing crap is obsuring the details. Feel free to boot me to some newbie link if these are really basic questions... Chris Brodie http:\\fourth.flipcode.com
Chris Brodie
Advertisement
Oh, and I''ve noticed that a nVidia specific compiler exists, does that mean that I need to get the ati compiler to also have my code run on ATI cards? Why is a compiler card specific?

Chris Brodie
http:\\fourth.flipcode.com
Chris Brodie
I heard a LOT of CG lately, I even went to NVidia''s site, and they said how nice their CG compiler is, etc. but there was no information whatsoever about WTF CG is!
Now, I might seem ignorant, but can ANYONE explain me what they are, in the first place? I mean, I got so far that it is some sort of programming language, but... nothing more.

Height Map Editor | Eternal lands
Cg is a high level shader language. Can be used to create vertex and shader programs that run on the video card such as the ones demonstrated at cgshaders.org. And while it is made by nVidia, Cg can reportedly be compiled for other cards, such as ATI and 3DLabs (though I haven''t tested either).

--------------------------

Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.

Focus On: 3-D Models
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
CG stands for C for graphics. Instead of programming in assembler we now program in C/C++

So you can program your GPU in CG instead of assembler code. On the NVidia website you will find all the things you need for CG including tutorials..
quote:Original post by gimp
Oh, and I''ve noticed that a nVidia specific compiler exists, does that mean that I need to get the ati compiler to also have my code run on ATI cards? Why is a compiler card specific?

Chris Brodie
http:\\fourth.flipcode.com

Nope.
You have to specify a target profile for compilation.

Available profiles include DX8 and DX9 vertex and pixel shaders.
Of course such profiles makes you able to run your programs on every vard supporting DX8/9 shaders.

On OGL side, supported profiles include arb vertex program and arb fragment program.
ATI cards should support them like latest nvidia drivers release.

As far as I know today Cg is the only High Level Shading Language available that can run on different cards and different systems (of course DX HLSL is bounded to win32 applications).

Uhm just to make some concepts clearer...

quote:Original post by gimp
1) From a programming perspective what can all this stuff really be used for? I''ve looked over a few shaders but I can''t seem to gauge the extents of this technology. Will it even replace the need for most textures perhaps by proceedurally creating them?

I don''t think shaders will ever replace textures.
Actually a shader can be used to lower CPU usage (i.e. you can implement a skinning shader, a particle system manager, etc.) or to create astonishing effects.

In order to draw polygons fast it is suggested to have vertex buffers stored in video card memory.
To modify every frame a vertex buffer can slow down your application. By using shaders you can keep your data throughput as high as possible, while the GPU makes all the work.

quote:
2) Is cg\shaders like a congruent method for performing special effects on a card?

Yes.

quote:
3) Will this replace most of the requirements for all those Gl extentions?

Yes and no. Yes because extensions like arb_vertex_program, arb_fragment_program, nv_vertex_program, etc. are directly accessed by Cg libraries. No because the bigger part of OGL extensions are not about vertex/pixel shaders. Vertex and pixel shaders come into play after you send a primitive. Everything you do before it is a your own problem..

quote:
4) If I add a cg block of code on a a surface in my game am I likely to run it on say most of the HW out there, if not, then what would happen on those machines?

You should take care of it and it depends upon the type of program you''re writing. If I have a cloth simulation on a vertex shader and I''m running my app on non-vs hw probably there''s no problem. The cloth is non-interactive and drawn always like original mesh. On the other hand, if I have a skinning shader, my charachters would never animate.

quote:
5) How does this all fit in with OpenGL?

It doesn''t fit into OpenGL. You make some calls to Cg and CgGL libs, and they directly interface with OpenGL.
Thanks for the effort in that response. I think I have a handle on it now.

Does anybody know what say the oldest nVidia card would be that would actually do something if cg threw some programs at it?

I''m hoping that you don''t need a 9700 or FX to run these things...
Chris Brodie
if you want to do nice stuff, you should get a radeon9700 or something equal from power (means something wich is named dx9 card on it)..

opengl2.0 will have glslang as shader language, and ati is workign on getting as much as possible from glslang working on the radeon.

cg is dead, never was alive

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

are the books like the redbook for shader programming?

i just learned opengland now iam wondering

can i draw all the surfaces and so on with this shader languages as well or do i draw it like i did til now and use the shaders to calculate for example the shadows

and where can i find a detailed description on what i could do with this shader things
everyone talks about vertex and pixel programs but nobody explains what those programs are ....

i am really confused

i personally prefer a well written book
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement