what is the difference??

Started by
1 comment, last by manish 21 years, 3 months ago
i''am a newbie to game programming , i was reading AndreLe Mothe book game programing for dummies and he has used his own function to load bitmaps which he calls Load_Bitmap_File() but on the MSDN site i saw a function LoadImage() which can be used to load bitmaps and another function called LoadBitmap().. Why did Andre use a different function (his function basically checks whether it is 8, 16 or a 24 bit bitmpa and if 24 he converts it to 16 and the he loads the bitmap step by step). and the second question is how are the other functions different that Andre''s function??
Advertisement
i believe the Windows LoadFile is Windows GDI-based (ie uses functions from the GDI). LaMothe''s LoadFile is strictly software-based. Meaning that you can use LaMothe''s code in Windows or Linux or whatever. In Dummies and Tricks, LaMothe tries to use GDI sparingly. His reasoning is that GDI is too slow and we should make optimized code and functions and use DX/DD for our games.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

what about the function LoadBitmap() , this is a directx function
i believe of class DDDirectDrawSurface.? He could have used it . this function though uses LoadImage(). I think your your reason that it can be used in windows and linux could be right.. but there is a function available in Directx...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement