ASSERT FAILED: Constant Errors

Started by
4 comments, last by Punx 21 years, 3 months ago
I recently installed the new DirectX SDK and now I get seemingly random errors with the title "ASSERT FAILED" and a body like "error occured at line xxxx" and then it displays a path to a .cpp file that doesn't exist on my computer. It must be one of the debug features but I don't know how to turn it off. Any help? EDIT: Okay I've now uninstalled the DirectX SDK and VC++ yet the errors are still coming. Has anyone had similiar problems? [edited by - punx on December 25, 2002 2:57:41 PM]
~punx
Advertisement
I am getting the same exact error and I have no idea where to even begin and debug the problem. This started happening to me when i compiled my code after installing the new DirectX 9 SDK. Im gonna have to go ahead and uninstall DX9 for now, unless someone has any clue why these errors are showing up.

-- TheJakub --
Well, I think I might have figured it out. The error is caused by the update to quartz.dll DirectX 9 installs. Simply uninstalling DX9 will not solve the problem since the file will not de-update. Quartz.dll is a file used for DirectShow. I got one of my friends to send me his older version of quartz.dll and replaced the new one in safe mode. Then i rebooted and I do not get those errors any longer. I''m not sure if this will cause any problems with DX9, since I first uninstalled it before I did this. I''m hoping there is a fix from microsoft for this problem soon.
If you''re getting assert failures at all using DirectX, chances are you''re using the debug runtimes, which can degrade performance. However, the fact that you''re getting assert failures indicates that there''s something wrong with your code. I''ve used DirectShow and gotten that error before, but I doubt that the problem is in the API instead of the client code.

Peace,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Actually, this error only started popping up after I upgraded to DirectX 9 and I''m not even using DirectShow in my code. The error message that pops up even points to a line of code and file that did not even exist on my machine. This leads me to believe it has to be a problem in the API.
Asserts are compiled into the code, so of course they occur in code that doesn't exist on your system. However, the (compiled binary form of the) code is still being run. The point is that something in your code or (possibly but far less likely,) something in the API code, isn't liking the data that's reaching it, most likely data that YOU have had a part in modifying. Did you ever consider that perhaps the error was unchecked in the DX8 code but tripped an assertion in the DX9 code?

Something else. You asked if anyone had similar problems, which I did and which I indicated, so your "I'm not even using DirectShow in my code" is a rather pesky response.

One more thing. You could include the exact error message (or at least one or two of them if there are multiple ones), instead of just saying doesn't work please help , etc. 98% of the time, even if it's a "glitch" (counterintuitive feature) in the API, it's actually something you've done wrong, so drop the attitude and help us help you.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[edited by - zealouselixir on December 30, 2002 3:40:50 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement