DirectMusic or DirectSound?

Started by
6 comments, last by olle55 21 years, 3 months ago
Hello! I was wondering which one do you use? Or do you use both? I mean, can''t you just use dmusic for all sounds? Or would that be a preformance hit? In that case, which do i use when? Dsound for small ingame sounds and dmusic for long background music maybe? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
So far I know, direct music only support MIDI files.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Would it be smart to use directshow for soundoutput in a game? It seems to be able to play a lot of diffrent formats, .mp3 included which would be nice for saving space.
xaxa, dmusic supports MUCH more than just midi. wouldn''t that be pointless? who uses midi''s these days?

It supports multiple formats but the real power of it is with dynamic music. You can create instruments based on wav samples and then compose music similar to midi, only with downloadable samples so it sounds the same on all cards (midi doesn''t). You can also control feature of the music in-game like the "groove" of just maybe you just wanna kick up the tempo when mario is about to run out of time...

anyways, dmusic is best for background, but it can infact be used for all game music. I suggest splitting them up though, cause I dont think dmusic does 3d sound.
Thanks Pseudo, I didn''t know that.
quote:Original post by xaxa
Thanks Pseudo, I didn''t know that.

If you don''t know something you shouldn''t say anything.
quote:Original post by Johnny_W
If you don''t know something you shouldn''t say anything.

I said "so far I know". I''m not perfect! God damn it
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

ogg vorbis is really sweet, its a lot like mp3 without patents, completely 100% free. although i've hit a little bump with one of its functions not working, its probably my fault. ut2003 uses it, and it sounds great. its just a codec though, you'll have ot use directsound or openal to play the music

[edited by - billybob on December 26, 2002 11:51:15 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement