Why wont my file be copied into an array?

Started by
3 comments, last by com 21 years, 3 months ago
this is isnt the actual code but this is basically what i want it to do at the moment:

#include <fstream.h>

int mapFile[2000];

int main()
{
        ifstream map("map.ar", ios::app);
	map >> mapFile;
	map.close();
return 0;
}

Now like i said that isnt the actual code but its the only relevent part of my question, basically the compiler says: error C2679: binary ''>>'' : no operator defined which takes a right-hand operand of type ''int [2000]'' (or there is no acceptable conversion) it works fine if i use a standard int but then what i wanted to do wouldnt work properly. I need to be able to call every single coord in the file: mapFile[0], mapFile[1] etc. Anyone know a way to fix this?
Advertisement
Baaaaad idea. You generally shouldn''t use the >> operator of ifstreams.

For single char input you can use the get member function:

int i = 0;while(map.get(mapFile[i]))  i++;  

There also is a getline member function.

There is a chapter about iostreams in volume 2 of "Thinking in C++", which you can download at www.bruceeckel.com

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." (Albert Einstein)
My Homepage
---Just trying to be helpful.Sebastian Beschkehttp://randomz.heim.at/
thx very mutch, my book and cprogrammer.com both suggested what i did in the first place which oveously is a error.
quote:Original post by randomZ
Baaaaad idea. You generally shouldn't use the >> operator of ifstreams.

Oh? Why not?

If you're comfortable with the stl and more modern use of input streams you could do something like this to read in a file of ints:

#include <vector>#include <algorithm>#include <fstream>#include <iostream>std::vector<int> mapFile;int main(int argv, char ** argv){  std::ifstream map("map.ar");  std::copy(std::istream_iterator<int>(map), std::istream_iterator<int>(), std::back_inserter(mapFile));  return 0;}  

Oh and to answer the question of why the original posted code doesn't work...
The code "map >> mapFile" is calling a function. You could read it as "map.sendInputTo(mapFile)" or something like that. There are overloaded versions of the function for various built-in types like int, float, double, and string. Their signatures would be like (these might not be 100% accurate):

istream& istream::operator >> (int someInt);
istream& istream::operator >> (float someFloat);
istream& istream::operator >> (double someDouble);
istream& istream::operator >> (string someString);

There is no overloaded version for arrays of ints, which would look like this:

istream& istream::operator >> (int * someIntArray);

There isn't because the function couldn't possibly know how large someIntArray is and might write past its bounds.

[edited by - Dobbs on December 26, 2002 5:58:38 PM]
try:

<inputstream>.getline( buffer, sizeof(buffer), ios::EOF );

or whatever to describe EOF.

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on December 26, 2002 5:47:34 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement