Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

m_wherrett

2D graphics drawing

I''ve spent some years programming from scratch with Java, and mod programming with C++. I''m now looking to program a small game from scratch using C++ and I need a little advice. My plan is to create a football game of similar ilk to Sensible Soccer (but with a secret twist). My problem is that I have no idea what would be the best way to produce these 2D sprite graphics. OpenGL polygons flat against the screen, DirectX, or is there an alternative? Either way, I aint looking for code, just a suggestion as to what should take care of the graphics side of things. cheers for any input people.

um, i know of ''programming linux games'' which has a chapter about SDL it think, the good thing is - it''s free , just google it or search the news archives here on gamedev, it was posted some time ago.. as for tutorials i can direct you to http://cone3d.gamedev.net , oh and lets not forget the SDL mailing list archives ( on the SDL page ) which has loads of useful info ..

You could also try CDX. It''s a free 2D C++ classwrapper for DX7. Not the best documentation in the world, but a great mailing list for help.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Greven