Maya export problems with DX8 xfile

Started by
3 comments, last by monkeyography 21 years, 3 months ago
I''m using Maya4.0 and the xfile exporters from DirectX8.1. When I export my mesh character I find that some of the geometry has its polygons all facing the wrong way. This seems to happen especially in the case of duplicated/mirrored geometry, such as a wing that I modelled, duplicated, and flipped along the x-axis. In Maya, I have all my geometry set to be one-sided and things look perfect. However, once I export to an xfile (with default settings) one wing/hand/foot will look fine and the opposite''s polygons will all face the wrong direction. I even tried reversing the way the triangles appear in Maya (Attributes->Render Stats->Opposite) hoping the export would re-reverse them but the exporter must ignore this setting because nothing changed in the xfile. Anyone else having this problem or know any ways around it? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Yup...I posted a message just like this a few weeks ago.
The exporter for maya made by microsoft is whats doing it. Inless if u want to create your own version of the xfile exporter your gunna have to deal with the backwards geometry. Somtimes u can click the "flip uv''s" option to fix backwards textures but thats about it.

Or maybe someone else will read this who knows of another xfile exporter or a way to fix it?
Damnable whores!
Did you check to see if the normals were facing the right way?
Yeah, I''ve done a lot of work on the normals to get my edges sharp or smooth looking as is appropriate. I even tried reversing the normals on the problem geometry. This results in inside-out looking geometry in Maya and geometry whose faces look correct in DirectX but whose normals still point the opposite direction so that shading looks horrendous.

Like NickVBS said, it''s a problem with the way the xfile exporter handles uv-mapping. On my texture, I have the UVs for both wings occupying the same space. This way, both wings take their color from the same pixels, making them mirror images of one another. This saves space on the texture since I only need one wing colored in on the texture rather than two identical (though mirrored) wings.

Apparently since I''m making the UVs _identical_ for geometry that is _mirrored_ the texture renders on the opposite side of the polygons.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement