Dual Xeon or Amd?

Started by
46 comments, last by Antony52 21 years, 3 months ago
It''s really sad that you all continue to bicker, rather than actually try to learn something.

wah wah wah
he''s flaming me because he said i was wrong
wah wah wah
i have a right to say whatever i want, even if it''s wrong, and if anyone tells me i''m wrong they''re flaming
wah wah wah

grow up.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by evil_ash
....What for amds hammer, configs up to 8 cpus with amds hyper transport linking them

The Unisys ES7000 supports up to 32 Intel Xeon or Itanium 2 CPUs. You can even mix and match both in the same box (different partitions, though)...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
quote:Original post by sjelkjd
It''s really sad that you all continue to bicker, rather than actually try to learn something.

wah wah wah
he''s flaming me because he said i was wrong
wah wah wah
i have a right to say whatever i want, even if it''s wrong, and if anyone tells me i''m wrong they''re flaming
wah wah wah

grow up.

your are underneath my level sorry dude
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
I''ve been doing a pile of research into this subject. I''m planning on purchasing a dual system in the next month or so. The sites I''ve used are www.arstechnica.com and www.2cpu.com. At the former you can learn a bunch about the so-called benefit of Hyper-Threading. An article there will walk you through the Intel spec fo it and explain when and why it is useful. As a result its only useful in a limited number of applications and only if your compiler supports it.

That said, money not being a #1 issue, the two options are a toss up for the most part. AMD has price going for it and the relative benchmarks are close enough to the Intel in nearly all cases. AMD does not have dual channel memory. AMD is not going to update the 760 chipset until their new procs come out. AMD''s new proc dates are not reliable which makes the decision to wait for AMDs new board hard. The 760 chipset is nearly 2 years old and the vendors that manufacture it haven''t updated it yet. Because the chipsets are not up to date, AGP8x is a long ways away. This could change, but not sure when or if it will with the 760 chipset.

Intel is more expensive. You get Hyper Threading only with the fastest processors and I''m not sure how much of an improvement it will be. Intel''s seem to be better at multimedia tasks, probably due to their focus on floating point math versus integer math of the AMDs. Intel does give a dual channel memory bus and AGP8x. If your applications use a bunch of memory, then doubling the bandwidth available to the CPU is a good thing and might be enough to make the Intel worth it.

Unknowns in this space concern, NVidia and its chipset for AMD processors. I hear there are dual versions coming out aimed at the workstation market. AMD Opteron??? Is it just around the corner?

My money is going to go with an AMD at this time. While I want AGP8x because it is the newest thing out there, it has not shown that it matters in real world applications. 90% of what I will do with the system is development, though I will do some graphics work. Floating point math is not high on my list of things that must be there so Intel is not as inviting. My only wish at this time is that I could get an AMD with dual channel memory buses. (and maybe AGP8x) If Tyan or IWill would upgrade their boards, the decision would become pretty easy.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
quote:
You''re really egotistical. You already know that no one cares that you were being sarcastic. Besides, you weren''t the only the only one with an idiotic comment.

Wow, You''re an ASSHOLE. Get a goddamn sense of humor and quit with the ''holier than thou'' bull. If you cant take a goddamn joke, then dont damn well respond to it.

As for your ''know-it-all'' attitude, i''d seriously give it up before you piss someone off who knows better than you.

And every ''idiotic'' post still had a point, just they had misinterpreted that information, and can you blame them with CLOWNS like you going around not even accepting an opinion that isn''t the same as yours? Get a life for gods sake.
*st0ned*
quote:Original post by Hairybudda

Wow, You''re an ASSHOLE. Get a goddamn sense of humor and quit with the ''holier than thou'' bull. If you cant take a goddamn joke, then dont damn well respond to it.

If you tell a joke 3 times, and no one responds, I''d take a hint.

quote:
As for your ''know-it-all'' attitude, i''d seriously give it up before you piss someone off who knows better than you.

Well, since it hasn''t happened yet, I''ll take my chances. Besides, you''re not going to learn from people who know less than you, will you?

quote:
And every ''idiotic'' post still had a point, just they had misinterpreted that information, and can you blame them with CLOWNS like you going around not even accepting an opinion that isn''t the same as yours? Get a life for gods sake.

Yes. The point was that they were wrong. Being wrong doesn''t mean you have an opinion, it means you are wrong.
But we only have you to tell us we''re wrong. How do I know that you are right, not all the other people who claim to have researched this on hardware web-sites.

Anyway, since when does an attitude of ''I''m right so that means I can insult anyone who knows less'' sound like a way to impress people - it makes you sound childish. Even if your advice/knowledge was absolutely true, people in this thread will have no confidence in your input since you back it up in such an unreasonable manner. That''s unfair that someone with a nicer manner who knows less will get listened to more, but that''s how it is - if you want people to listen to you then you need evidence to back up your claims, and not to get personal over some technical crap. If people have another view that is blatantly wrong and refuse to listen to your facts then let them wallow in their ignorance instead of trying to force them to believe you - people can be very stubborn!

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16
quote:Original post by d000hg
But we only have you to tell us we''re wrong. How do I know that you are right, not all the other people who claim to have researched this on hardware web-sites.

An excellent point. However, if you''ll look at my 2nd post on this topic, I urge people to
quote:
D) take some courses on microprocessor architecture(or do some online research at www.arstechnica.com, for example)

quote:
Anyway, since when does an attitude of ''I''m right so that means I can insult anyone who knows less''

It depends on what you mean by insult. If someone is wrong, I will call them on it. If they''re completely wrong, I will tell them so. I will call what they have to say ''crap'', when it is indeed crap.
People who, when shown the facts, still insist that their own incorrect beliefs are right, are idiots. And I will call them as such.

But you are absolutely right, if I were nicer, people wouldn''t yell at me. But since they''re not going to listen anyway, I may as well have my fun =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement