Faces, a study of Proportions

Started by
4 comments, last by Arion 21 years, 3 months ago
I''m just learning to sketch to see if I have any artistic talent at all. I can draw the body and the body in motion so it looks not too bad, but when it comes to faces, Arrgh ! I was trying to sketch a faery face, but it always came out looking old and did not have that youthful innocent look. I must be doing something wrong with the proportions, and any shading at all messes it up big time. I''m not going to show my embarassing art at the moment. Especially after looking at the ''Your art Let''s see it !" thread. Damn that''s good stuff. The is what I assume when trying to draw my faery face: ( Am I wrong in any of these assumptione ? ) For proportion: Bigger eyes to give a more youthful appearance. I''m not sure of the distance of the eyes to each other. Small Nose, I thought a small nose would be apt in trying to achieve my effect. Small mouth. I''m not sure on this one, but I felt a more slende mouth would be apt. Larger mouths make it look old. Other stuff: I am having an awful time with shading, especially on the face. It really messes things up for me. Rounder head. I think adults have a longer head then yunger people. I am really jumping into the thick of things trying to draw faces, maybe I should start smaller and draw things half decent first. Now for some questions: Is it good practice trying to draw from pictures ? Would it help me understand proportion better ? When you draw a character, do you base it on anyone or is it drawn from just the immagination ? What should you expect from your drawing when you start out ? How do you get that incerdible shading ? I just have sketching pencils of variois colours and hardness. Maybe I''m using the wrong tools ? By the way, the art I love the best is pastel. I crave any art in pastel and what I want to strive for as a future goal. Guy
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Arion
The is what I assume when trying to draw my faery face:
( Am I wrong in any of these assumptione ? )

For proportion:

Bigger eyes to give a more youthful appearance. I'm not sure of the distance of the eyes to each other.

Small Nose, I thought a small nose would be apt in trying to achieve my effect.

Small mouth. I'm not sure on this one, but I felt a more slende mouth would be apt. Larger mouths make it look old.

A fairy is what you want one to be. There isn't any set rules to drawing one, unless you want to make it look like your stock fairy.

quote:I am having an awful time with shading, especially on the face. It really messes things up for me.

Me, too. I don't have any pointers right now.

quote:I am really jumping into the thick of things trying to draw faces, maybe I should start smaller and draw things half decent first.

It doesn't matter what you start off drawing, as long as you draw. I'd recommend for you to go to the Concept Art forums and looking at a subforum called Andrew Jones' self portraits and Guest self portraits. Andrew makes a self portrait every day, and you can view his whole collection. Other members of the forum post their daily self portraits on the guest forum. Some of them are just starting out and others are already good artists. I've seen some good improvements with the beginners. Here's the first thread of guest self portraits. They've move onto making a new thread every month.

If you want to start making a daily self portrait, get a mirror and draw yourself. One of the pointers I saw there was to start with the eyes and eyebrows, move onto the nose, then mouth, then hair, and finally the face's profile. Try different expressions and different angles.

quote:Is it good practice trying to draw from pictures ? Would it help me understand proportion better ?

Drawing from pictures if perfectly fine. You get a better eye for proportion after you've been drawing for long enough, so just keep drawing.

quote:What should you expect from your drawing when you start out ?

Things that don't resemble what you're trying to draw.

[edited by - mtw on December 26, 2002 12:19:51 PM]
I will now stir this topic to its full potential.

I am really battling here with 3d modeling for terrain and object mapping.
There are many free objects and models for download and good stuff for the graphic fantics which made them however I have finally invested everying I have into programming tools(not alot but enough) and have come up with a rather amature game engine(sounds like the same old story however i am going somewhere) and need a 3D creation tool that will map to calculatable mesh.
Now there are thousands of free 3d tools but many are written to save as an unreadable format irreagardless of file extention being converted.
Now I need a 3d tool that will do this.(note I can write models by windows notepad but a 3d tool makes things so much easier.)
yes I realise that a large part of the community uses not illegal kazaa material.. hmmm not interesting.
is there such a tool that dose this and dose not cost you a year of your welfare payed for life?
Normally these programs are written internally like the Operation Flash Point games ect.but there is only one of me working on this project therefore this is annother year of just making the tool to do it.
I cannot hire a graphic designer or 3d kid and they all want money and cannot ever do the job right(from experince many crap games are released for this reason).
I do have a tool from http://www.nadn.navy.mil/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdemdown.htm
which dose super professional terrain mapping for free(can even map my own state as the game world) is there a object 3d tool for free(must be professional no half **sed stuff.)

Thanks mtw, that self potrait thread is awesome.
Now I was going through google image search looking for faces to sketch ( very quick sketches ). Amazingly just sketching fice faces has brought about significant improvements for me.

Now, I''m, just going to go into a sketching mode. Find as many faces as possible and sketch them. I hope I can continue to improve at the rate I am.

Guy
yup, there are face propostion, u can actually see them very clearly once u have obtained enough drawing Experience.
Maaaaaaaahahaha. Who''s da king baby?
Not sure if this helps but Blender is a powerful and free 3D modeler. And there should be scripts available to save in most any format you need.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement