seeking masm 7.0 coders

Started by
4 comments, last by Jono 21 years, 3 months ago
i''ve been studying how cpu''s and memory works i understand them (kinda), and i thought it would be a good idea for me to learn asm so i went for masm cos it might have good documentation. but i would like to talk to humans about how asm works. there one or two things i''ve yet to understand cos of bad jargon explanation, so if you don''t mind me asking you all a view questions please let me know....from jono ty
Advertisement
Why dont you try repeating this post in the help wanted section? It will receive more visibility from people who are actually looking for work.
when i say seeking i don''t mean for employment, i just would like to pick asm programmers brains , sorry for any problems
masm 7.0? I thought the latest version 6.11. Anyway, there should be plenty of masm book in early 90. I stop coding asm back in the day of Turbo Pascal. If you really want to learn how
asm->opcode->nanocode and how CPU read these nanocode as instruction then consider taking a microprocess course and also taking a compiler course also help. It will give you great insight from the down to the bare metal. Get Micheal Abrash books if they are still in print. He is one of the great assembly coder. I hope this help.
masm stopped at 6.11, and I don''t believe they will do much more on it... maybe support new processor versions here and there, that''s it.

Why do you want to learn assembler coding anyways?

I personally think everyone must learn basic assembler in there coursework, and at least how to do some simple code in assembler, before doing any compilers. Why? It will help you understand everything about your compiler (C/C++) and how your computer works inside.

Other than that though, assembler is not really used much these days... mostly, compilers are extremely good, processors are very fast, and assembler coding is time consuming and full of pitfalls. It is pretty hard now to write assembler that can beat out a good compiler... and, it is non-portable code. It''s really only of use to people who write compilers, or engineers who make operating systems or device drivers. If you are not planning to do either, forget about assembler and get yourself a good compiler and learn C++ instead.

Assembly Language Step-By-Step - Jeff Duntemann

That''s the only ASM book I really know of anymore. There''s a few sites on the web, Art of Assembler.

quote:Original post by DaMangz
masm stopped at 6.11

The masm included with Visual Studio .NET at least calls itself 7.0. I would think that''s the latest version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement