Moving On...

Started by
2 comments, last by Aanidaani 21 years, 3 months ago
Hello again everyone! I hope you all had a great Christmas--I know I did. Anyway, my reason for making this post wasn't to tell you about Christmas, but to ask for advice. Recently I finished reading Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus , and I learned a great deal from it. The author's style makes for an enjoyable and informative read, and I highly recommend it to anyone. However, now that I am done, I am somewhat uncertain of how to proceed. I would like to start writing a simple tetris-type game, but I am at a loss on where to find some good, practical tutorials on creating a game. Certainly Game Programming Gurus contains a large amount of examples, but I would like to see a few other, complete, yet simple, games before I go into work myself. Any advice pertaining to my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! "Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few." Aanidaani [edited by - Aanidaani on December 26, 2002 2:37:33 PM]
"Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few."Aanidaani
Advertisement
You should easily have enough material and reference inside TOTWGPG to build a working Tetris clone.
I haven''t looked through it recently, but I know LaMothe covers all the basics of collision detection using basic shapes.

-This is where the world drops off
-ryan@lecherousjester.com
I think he means sourcecode to a complete game, not just isolated examples.
Well, there is a "Hands-On Interactive Game Development" Forum on Gamedev, just scroll down a bit on the forums page
I haven''t tried it tho and don''t know how useful it is.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." (Albert Einstein)
My Homepage
---Just trying to be helpful.Sebastian Beschkehttp://randomz.heim.at/
Yeah, I''m looking for a complete source-type tutorial. I''d like to see how different people implement certain features, as well as get a better idea of the different aspects of DirectX, in action. Thanks for the suggestion about the forum. I''ll take a look.

"Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few."

Aanidaani
"Ignorance is the sin of the many, whereas knowledge is the salvation of the few."Aanidaani

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement