Essential design books

Started by
3 comments, last by antareus 21 years, 3 months ago
Last thread from me today, I promise . Can anyone point me to some books they''ve read that profoundly altered their ideas of software engineering? I''m rather new to it and sometimes I find myself merely reusing someone else''s design because it seemed to work okay for them, and I agree with it. I already have the famous Design Patterns book, but I''m wondering if there are more out there that are essential reads. I''m not really looking for game design either, more general app design. I have Code Complete already as well and I should go back and really read the sections on app design when I get back at school.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Advertisement
"Effective STL" was EXTREMELY useful for picking up the finer side of algorithm-oriented programming in C++. Definitely recommended.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
object oriented analysis and design by Booch, I thought, was quite good.
Refactoring - Martin Fowler.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I didn''t like Effective C++ nor More Effective C++ that much. They were helpful but were written in too simple way for my taste. Gah, Scott''s jokes were horrible too . Someone could''ve squeezed that information in 30 pages or so. If you''d like some more advanced stuff, try Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu (sp?). It contains a load of different tips of how to write generic code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement