console editors

Started by
21 comments, last by Strife 21 years, 3 months ago
Okay, I''ve been looking for a while to find a good console editor (not vim or emacs or anything ) that has support for various features, like syntax highlighting (just to make things look pretty) as well as other usefull features for us programmers. So, what all exists? So far, the only decent one I''ve tried is Jed, and I already have it on my system. What else is out there?
Advertisement
What don''t you like about vim/emacs? There are plenty of editor out there, all of which have their fans, but it''s hard to tell which you''d like without any information about why you don''t like others.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Well, like I said, I want something that overtly supports syntax highlighting (I don''t want to have to jump through hoops to get it on).

What I DON''T want are overly-complicated keyboard shortcuts. Yes, shortcuts are good, but why should I have to type C-X C-h C-j C-p C-n to save a file? Okay, I made that one up. But you get the point, I hope.
I doubt you can find an editor these days that DOESN''T do syntax highlighting quickly and easily. I know vim does, I''m pretty sure emacs does.

The thing about "complex" keyboard shortcuts is that all they are is a learning curve. Once you have them down, you will be more efficient, no matter what editor you''re using.

As a compromise, tho, I suggest gvim or xemacs, the graphical versions of the two editors. Each will "hold your hand" with menus whenever you don''t know the command you want, and you can pick up the more efficient ways of doing things at your own pace.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Is RHIDE available for Linux? I think so. If it is, look into it.
I think there used to be a GNU/Linux port of RHIDE, I doubt it was any good though, since I had serious issues when trying to get it to run on FreeBSD with Linux emulation.. (telltale sign of bad software)

/Mikael
Blah, I just decided to actually leearn how to use vim. Oh my god, I actually like it now... How odd...

If only I could figure out how to actually get the mouse working so I can click to place the cursor...
I don''t use vi/vim for coding...
doesn''t code easy & can''t concentrate when I''ve to write ":write,:insert" all the time...

I use nedit a lot (I work in x all the time, some consoles,a browser )

I think you''re looking for "jed" (supports highlighting), "nano" (doesn''t support highlighting)...
Some time ago I saw something like "ms edit" on sourceforge.net
(same interface)

Anyway, search the data

Best,
Frank
Let there be light,and there was code
I do like nedit, except for two things: First, it''s not a console program, which means if I want to ssh to my machine, I can''t use it. Second, for some odd reason, when I have more than one window open, I can only actually do anything in the first window that was opened. In other words, the keyboard doesn''t work for the other windows. Why that is, I have no idea.
I also have the problem with nedit. The only workaround I''ve found is to open up a new version of nedit every time you want to load another file. It''s annoying but not as annoying as having the keyboard stop working in other windows

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement