Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jehsup

using USGS data

Hello, all! I was wondering if anyone has a demo (w/source) of a program they have made for using any type of realworld USGS data in a C++\Windows\OpenGL framework. There isnt squat on the web. Or at least the stuff like sdts++, demeter, etc. are overkill and require a lot of other installations for them to even compile (plib,zlib,sdl, etc.). Too many cooks in the kitchen for my tasete if you know what I mean. It cant be as painful as that can it? But since resources on the web are all but non-existent, maybe it is. I see a lot of links that work with generic heightfeilds(images) as terrain and have worked through and have a reasonably solid grasp of them, but I never see anyone doing any work with real world data sets(SDTS, DEM, SRTM, etc). Any help or source code would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance! J

I''m getting ready to work with the same type of thing. I got an elevation flatfile from the GLOBE project to work with, now getting ready to try and figure out how to go from that to a terrain mesh. Good luckto you, and i''ll be sure to let you know if i figure out how to do it.

Hi,

the USGS DEM (just ASCII) format isn''t anything special, neither is the new BIL (horrible simply binary layout) for USGS Seamless Data (seamless.usgs.gov), so you can just write your own simple loaders and leave out the features you don''t need.

Alternatively, have a look at the VTP Software (www.vterrain.org -> VTP Software) and use that to convert different elevation grid formats to bitmap data.
Another option is gdal, relatively easy to use (www.remotesensing.org/gdal),
C/C++ library, Python wrapper, supports a huge amount of formats and also features a commandline tool.

Hope that helps a little bit.

regards,
Stephan

eisscholle.de