Rendering a Scene/Map

Started by
17 comments, last by JoshG 21 years, 3 months ago
Is there a reason as to why I wouldn''t create new nodes whilst in an octree?

the way I am thinking at the moment is that each cube that a node in the octree represents has a list of objects contained in it, those objects listed within the node in the octree will be drawn if that node is visible. If I wanted to create a new object say a new car then couldn''t I just add to the list of obejcts in that node?
Advertisement
yes of course, but what i mean is don''t create/delete cubes because something enters a cube that isn''t fully subdivided or leaves a cube that is now empty.
ah, ok then, that is a good point, I wasn''t thinking of doing that but it does open up another area to think about. How far would I go about subdividing the areas. I suppose I would be dividing it by a set amount then...

What exactly is wrong with making another subdivision if decided it is needed at runtime? what are the problems associated with it?
its not necessarily actually making them thats the problem as it is check to see if a node needs to be created/deleted. like when your object leaves a node, are you going to check to see if there aren''t any objects left in it? or if you enter a node, are you going to recurse through the whole tree to see if its a node of minimum size?
my method is a bsp tree build into an octree

i do frustrum culling for the octree and then i render the polygons of the octrees as normal bsp trees

the only problem is you need to splitt your polygons so they fit into the octrees

thats way my octree size is 512 and the player is 72 units big
that reduces the split faces a lot and makes it a really fast method to draw you can even link the bsp trees of the individual octrees to check whether they are visible or not
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
ok then, thanks,
I suppose I''ll read more about BSP trees now,
I was thinking that I would use a Hybrid between an Octree and a Quadtree so I can have CLOD terrain..
does anyone use an Octree and still have a CLOD?
any suggestions on doing it?
in the game i''m working on my plan is to use a bsp for polygons and ONLY polygons. then use a big octree for the world and only for all the game objects, decoration meshes, and the terrain. hopefully that way i can get a more seamless transition from indoor/outdoor without a loading time.

what you would do (i think), i''ve never thought about it, but you would store the vertices in patches, like 16x16. you would store those patches in the octree/quadtree, and then when you build the terrain with CLOD, you could easily find which patches to use in building the vertex buffer/array. but thats only if i''m thinking of the right thing, i don''t know much about CLOD. its where you rebuild the vertices every frame right?
CLOD takes a heightmap and then decides which verticies should be drawn depending on how far away from the viewpoint they are and how much their being drawn would affect the final image on the screen.
Can someone here tell me how you might store vast terrains on a diskfile most efficiently?

Im looking at a scale like a MMOG, and wants to store huge maps... But how would i go about the storage?

Regards
*c++ = true;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement