Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

auto update server

This topic is 5500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This doesn''t pertain to OpenGL but I have no clue where to post it so I though, what the heck go for it! I am trying to build a server that can be connected to and downloaded from. The server needs to be able to open multiple connections and I don''t know how to do this...soo, does anyone have any clue? <- Digital Explosions -> "Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

fork() on incoming connections?

Or do something similar to Apache and keep a "pool" of servers running, if more requests come in spawn more processes.

quote:
Original post by TravisWells
fork() on incoming connections?
Or do something similar to Apache and keep a "pool" of servers running, if more requests come in spawn more processes.

Do you have any idea what you''re talking about?

To the original poster: Look up the Winsock API, and start posting in the appropriate Networking forum.

swift URL | browse my bookmarks [server may not always be on]

Sensimed | Info/download

ok thx for pointing me to networking...where r these forums... up there in community->forums ...?

and by the way, im using winsock from vb6, in visual basic .net hehehehe,

i know how to connect, i was wondering how to do multiple connections...

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

Create an array of sockets by placing a single control down, and making its index equal to 0. Set a port. This will be your listening socket.

In the connection request, you will need to spawn newer instances of the control, (or reuse existing and non-connected ones) and have them accept the requestID .

That''s an entirely simplified explanation for VB Winsock communicating, but I''m ready to sleep. You can find countless Winsock tutorials floating around the Internet.

Have fun.

swift URL | browse my bookmarks [server may not always be on]

Sensimed | Info/download

But try to find a single good Winsock or System.Net.Sockets.Socket example for VISUAL BASIC .NET on the web and I will be shocked beyond belief. I have searched all day and nothing Urgh, its all C# tutorials but I guess I could TRY and translate the code, but I too am sleepy.

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)

Why bother writing a customer server? Just host the files on a web server and download from there. The advantages are many: you don''t need to write your own server software; you can use a free host to host the files; you can use the System.Net.HttpWebRequest classes to make it easy for you on the client; etc...

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.