• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loading animations from x-files

This topic is 5599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven''t been able to find any information in the sdk about how to implement animations other then skined animations. I just need a easy way to load key-frames or something from the x-file that my 3d-artists have created in 3d-studio and converted into x-files. Any Ideas? (I''m still using dx8 by the way)

Advertisement
For animation you have 3 options:

1) skinned meshes
2) vertex tweening between keyframes
3)loading a model for each frame

Check out the DolphinVS sample in the sdk for tweening.

I got frames data in the x-file using the -A parameter in conv3ds. The readme says I should use AnimationSet:Load to load it, but I can''t find any fuction of that kind in the sdk help!

maybe these can help

forum:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=126399

article:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/skinmesh/default.asp

I''m using xfiles exported from Maya and I''ve incorporated the code mentioned above (gamedev skinned mesh article) into a game engine of mine. my animation shows up and it''s not a ''skinned mesh'' in the geometry-bound-to-bones sense. My xfile contains no bones, I just animate by translating, rotating, and scaling the individual pieces of geometry.

From my understanding, xfile animation is simply the translation/rotation/scaling of matrices and the vertices that belong to them. Whether these matrices come from bones, geometry, or groups makes no difference. However, because the animation is matrix-based, the animation of individual vertices on geometry is not stored. This means blend-shapes, cluster animation, and things of that sort will not export.

That is my understanding at least.

The gamedev skinned mesh article is a valuable resource!

• Advertisement