Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ToxicSoul

loading animations from x-files

I haven''t been able to find any information in the sdk about how to implement animations other then skined animations. I just need a easy way to load key-frames or something from the x-file that my 3d-artists have created in 3d-studio and converted into x-files. Any Ideas? (I''m still using dx8 by the way)

I''m using xfiles exported from Maya and I''ve incorporated the code mentioned above (gamedev skinned mesh article) into a game engine of mine. my animation shows up and it''s not a ''skinned mesh'' in the geometry-bound-to-bones sense. My xfile contains no bones, I just animate by translating, rotating, and scaling the individual pieces of geometry.

From my understanding, xfile animation is simply the translation/rotation/scaling of matrices and the vertices that belong to them. Whether these matrices come from bones, geometry, or groups makes no difference. However, because the animation is matrix-based, the animation of individual vertices on geometry is not stored. This means blend-shapes, cluster animation, and things of that sort will not export.

That is my understanding at least.

The gamedev skinned mesh article is a valuable resource!