• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ToxicSoul

loading animations from x-files

This topic is 5716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven''t been able to find any information in the sdk about how to implement animations other then skined animations. I just need a easy way to load key-frames or something from the x-file that my 3d-artists have created in 3d-studio and converted into x-files. Any Ideas? (I''m still using dx8 by the way)

Advertisement
For animation you have 3 options:

1) skinned meshes
2) vertex tweening between keyframes
3)loading a model for each frame

Check out the DolphinVS sample in the sdk for tweening.

I got frames data in the x-file using the -A parameter in conv3ds. The readme says I should use AnimationSet:Load to load it, but I can''t find any fuction of that kind in the sdk help!

maybe these can help

forum:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=126399

article:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/skinmesh/default.asp

I''m using xfiles exported from Maya and I''ve incorporated the code mentioned above (gamedev skinned mesh article) into a game engine of mine. my animation shows up and it''s not a ''skinned mesh'' in the geometry-bound-to-bones sense. My xfile contains no bones, I just animate by translating, rotating, and scaling the individual pieces of geometry.

From my understanding, xfile animation is simply the translation/rotation/scaling of matrices and the vertices that belong to them. Whether these matrices come from bones, geometry, or groups makes no difference. However, because the animation is matrix-based, the animation of individual vertices on geometry is not stored. This means blend-shapes, cluster animation, and things of that sort will not export.

That is my understanding at least.

The gamedev skinned mesh article is a valuable resource!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!