• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LewieM80

Physics help!!!

This topic is 5739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can''t figure out this quiz question: Consider a minor parking-log accident. Car A backs out at 30 cm/s toward the west, and car B looks for a place to park, driving at 40 cm/s. Both cars mass 1,000 kg. What is the total system momentum before the collision? Remember that momentum is a vector quantity. Also, be careful with your units. I could''ve sworn the answer was the sum of both vectors which I thought was: 700 kg*m/s, generally northwest. The answer key told me without explanation that it''s 500 kg*m/s, generally northwest. Where in the world did they get 500 from? Please help me out. -Lewis [m80] Play QUADz MX @ www.m80produxions.com

Advertisement
it seems that you just added the two vectors to get to the 700 (30+40 ..) but the resulting vectors length is sqrt(x^2+y^2). with this you get to the 500

Runicsoft -- home of my open source Function Parser and more

Thanx man... so i guess it boiled down to a simple trig problem. I have to think more open minded about these problems, I guess. I must've read somewhere that to get the total momentum in a system, you had to get the sum of the momentum in that system.

I guess I didn't read that line in the question that alerts us that we are using vectors. I totally forgot about the resultant.

Thanx again... I can sleep now.

-Lewis [m80]
Play QUADz MX @
www.m80produxions.com

[edited by - LewieM80 on December 27, 2002 1:11:57 PM]

OK,

Wish I caught this sooner. This is clearly a homework question that basically asks for an answer. This type of question is not acceptable to the forum policy, see the FAQ below:

Forum FAQ

I am closing this thread.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

This topic is 5739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.