Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Basiror

My engine what do you think?

When I saw this post I thought "Oh gee, another simple engine, I think I'll not download it" then I saw it was you Basiror, and I took the time to look at it. I think it's nice, you obviously know what you are doing, and I hope to be as good as you are someday.

The only complaint I have is that it renders slowly, why it's doing this I don't know (do you have frustum culling?). Otherwise it's very good

[edited by - Shadow1234567890 on December 27, 2002 2:21:02 PM]

there is only a behind player culling system :D

i didn t have the time to write a really good cullingsystem yet

first i need to finish programming my hl mod
www.russianfront.net
and then ill step back to the engine and the compiler

it draws 17000 polygons btw you just don t see them because of culling

my lowest fps i got was 40

gf2 ultra
512 ddr
thunderbird c 1400

and as you might have noticed it draws the brushes and not only the surface :D time to add CSG to the compiler hehe

what do you mean it draws brushes not only surfaces? I forgot what the csg compilation handles

basiror u seem to know what you''re doing, check out the post I made on the stupid thing that draws a bitmap and check it for any errors for me I know the way I currently ahve it set up isn''t optimal (loads the bitmap every single time it is drawn) but otherwise it shoudl still be displaying SOMETHING

WOW

Its a damn good engine. After the first few minutes it got boring then when i flew into the sky , jawdrop. The buildings are really cool. But it runs a tad slow.

My machine
2.8 ghz P4
radeon 9700
Asus p4pe
512 mb corsai 3200 ram
40 gb hard drive.

I love my machine

Why should it run in so high resolution?
Not every one have the money to a super high tech machine, so try getting it down to 640*480 or at least 800*600...
I only have 8 MB GFX

A question.. the skybox seems to act a bit weird for me. Is this intentional? For instance, at certain angles the skybox entirely disappears, but if I shift the mouse a little, it looks almost like the "fog clears", and portions of the skybox fade through.

I''m on a Pentium4 with Radeon9000 card.

swift URL | browse my bookmarks [server may not always be on]

Sensimed | Info/download

I see no skybox...

Anyways, it looks pretty nice. Slows to a crawl when you look diagnoally across the map though, even with the fog blocking out most of it (a crawl being ~45 FPS on my system , in windowed mode).
Lots of potential there. Keep it up.

------------
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
"It''s all part of the conspiracy of conspirators conspiring to conspire their own conspiracies..."

Looks nice. I''m curious to know how the geometry is stored/organized in the engine(algorithms and ADT''s). I did notice a huge fish bowl lens effect when flying around though.

can you describe this effect a bit

the geometry is stored in the worst way possible cause this engine is was thought to test a compiler rightnow i am refining it to spare space and make it easier to render

yes the skybox is non supposed to look like it does thats because i switched from right to lefthanded coordinate system and didn t fix it yet thx

i saw no skybox - all gray.

ran well on gf2 64mb ddr. usually sticking to around 40-50fps.

my gf3 system somehow took awhile to load the application initially (may be due to the fact i was running the application over the network). but once in was smooth, still no skybox. 60-75fps maxing at 86fps and chugging down to 39.

looks very day of defeat like.

shadow i have nearly finished the compiler

only the following is left to do
- lightmap generation
- octree partition
- csg

plans for the future
- 3ds file to model converter
- bmp to tga converter
- ASCII loader to convert it to my own BSP format

for the enine
- texture browser
- texture application tool to create maps in 3dsmax and finalize them ingame

[edited by - Basiror on January 7, 2003 8:26:49 AM]

It looks great.... I got around 30 FPS on a GF2TI XP1700+. There is no skybox for me either though.

And I can confirm the fishbowl effect. Try it out by moving the camera to the edge a roof and looking over it... then move the camera up and down and you can see the roof texture deform a little in the bottom and side of your screen.

I''m also under the impression that the camera movement is framerate driven, but that''s just a minor point that I noticed.

Very good... keep it up