Subliminal Messaging

Started by
23 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 11 months ago
I''ll ask about the images.. not sure there Interesting idea though. Clair witch didn''t really scare me.. it wa more or less stupid throughout most of it. ::sigh:: alas.. they''re still wanting to make more.

J
Advertisement
Wonder if you could half second interrupt the player in a horror game by showing a full screen image that was perceptable. Think Stir of Echos when Kevin Bacon is walking and having flashbacks at the same time. Some sort of cinematic effect like that tied to the story could be enough. This clearly wouldn''t violate the laws because it was perceptible to the naked eye. Used correctly I think it could be done without spoiling game play. It might even enhance gameplay and storyline. *shrug* Really just talking out loud.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
From what ive been taught in College from Psyc and Eng all subliminals are banned. However it is interesting to know what some advertisers, especially beer companies put into there adverts. If an ad has some ice, the chance of something ''suggestive'' airbrushed in there is 99%. Without fully knowing that the images are there they are considered subliminal. These ice images arent apparent to the naked eye yet there in there.
For example, my English teacher had a student a few years back that was an air brush artist for hire. The student showed my teacher what she was told to airbrush into the ice and shadows of a beer advert. THe words fuck and cunt were brushed into the shadows, and male ''parts'' were put throuought the ice. If thats legal, then images in a game could very well be ok.

I think ive confused myself even more now.

PEACE
GAZZ
Kresilac(sp?), you are my personal hero. That idea was so cool, and I'm giong to use it, so please don't sue me. Also. the beer ice thing is pretty crazy too. Thanks.

BTW, all of these edits are on your name, Kres, which I can't ssem to spell right. Oh, well.
Edited by - Landfish on 5/5/00 4:49:04 PM

Edited by - Landfish on 5/5/00 4:52:37 PM
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
To make a scene suspensefull you could do something like have shadows move or dissapear. You wouldn''t notice it right away, but you''d know something happened. Something would be "off".

Also, if you did want to do subliminal images, etc. while keeping the fps high enough to ensure it remains subliminal, you''d just render 2 frames in memory, the first with the image, the second without. Then you''d just swap the images in the next 2 vertical retrace interrupts. That''ll give you a good 60+ fps for a short burst.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement