• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

40 Thieves

Looking for guidance from guru's

This topic is 6929 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for some help here... I''ve been programming in C++ for awhile and have a pretty good knowledge of how things work with it, but as far as graphics are concerned I''m lost... I''m really bad at windows programming, "How Bad Are You?", I''m so bad that I can''t even do it. But I''d like to write some programs... I detest the standard graphics.h that comes with the language... can anybody suggest a good graphics library or a fool proof way to ease my way into windows programming? BTW... This may make me look stupider that I already seem, but I use VC++ 6 if that''s any concern when choosing. www.databyss.com www.omlettesoft.com "Don''t meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Advertisement
I dont know anything about windows programing, but a godd gfx lib. is allegro...

You can find it here:

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

it''s mainly for DJGPP/DOS but there are some other version to

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

quote:
Original post by 40 Thieves

I detest the standard graphics.h that comes with the language...

Quick correction for informational purposes only: graphics.h is not part of the language I think only certain DOS-based compilers supply such a thing, for your convenience. C++ has no inbuilt graphics ability as such.

Learn how to use your environment !!!
First, pick up a copy of Charles petzolds famous book. I really suggest you that you learn to write plain SDK style windows code, you need some basic knowledge of it anyway. Maybe a look at MFC might be useful, if you intend to create tools with large user interfaces for your games...

The easiest way to get into 3D is OpenGL. With GLUT, you don''t even need win32 exp to code a little 3d game. Forget about gl if you want to do 2d, use DirectDraw...

If you want a simple graphics libray, use the windows GDI ;-))

hope that helps...

Tim

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!