• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thaynx

Is this a good way to do things?

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having trouble getting back into C because I have been professionally developing Java applications for I don''t remember how long. I am wanting to make a large scale multiplayer perpetual game and am pretty sure that no matter how good JIT compilers get, Java just wont have the speed needed. So, my question is, is it a good idea to go ahead and code the game in Java for quick developement (or as quick as possible) and if it turns out good enough to get financial backing to take it to market, then go ahead and convert it to C? What do you think about this plan? Thanks in advance, Thaynx If you can''t win, make sure the one that beats you breaks the record!

Advertisement
There was an article over at flipcode that discussed this approach breifly:

http://www.flipcode.com/tfiles/steven04.shtml

It sounds like a good idea if you have a lot more experience in Java. You might want to consider converting the Java into C++ instead of pure C, though, since the languages are much closer.

Good luck!

Check out the GPI project today!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!