• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crazy166

OutputDebugMessage and Direct3D?

This topic is 6924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

has anyone else gotten access violations when using OutputDebugMessage while doing Direct3D stuff? i''ve been having intermittent problems that seem to go away when i comment those calls out. of course, i''m not ruling out the possiblilty that there are other underlying code problems, but was just curious if anyone else had this problem. plus, how do you use those "debug" files included in the "extras" folder of dx7 sdk with vc6? what help do these add? thanks, crazy166 some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

Advertisement
If the debug files are the files I think your talking about (I can''t find the extras folder you referenced) they''re really a pain to set up if you want to get the output.

First, you have to define your app name in the debug.h file (and maybe something else), and include the files in your project. Then, you use DPF() to do your debug output. It works just like printf, execept it has an extra parameter (the first one) that you use for telling it the output level you want it to output at (1 is highest).

When you want to see the output, open win.ini, and add a section called debug, and a key that is the same as the appname you specified in the header file, and set it equal to the debug level you wish to see.

[debug]
myapp=10

BTW, the files I''m talking about are debug.c and debug.h and they were on the dx5 sdk, and the dx6 sdk, but I can''t find them in dx7.

I made some modifications to them so that you can use command line arguments to set the level and make it log to a file as well. I got tired of having to open win.ini every time I wanted to change the level. Send me mail if you want to see.

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

oh, sorry. if you dl''d the sdk, you should have "extras\symbols\win..." that contained a bunch of .sym files for win2000 and win98. if you have the cd, it''s under "dxf\extras\...". but i don''t know what they''re for.

they''re described in dxreadme.txt as: "we have added symbol files to assist developers with debugging, you will find both retail and debug for win9x and win2k (.sym & .pdb)"

i just figured i could use all the debugging help i could get.
thanks for that other info, i''ll look into it.

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ahhh, you were talking about the symbol files... These will allow you to debug into the DX .dll''s. Essentially, the symbol files contain all of the debug information that your debugger uses to convert the assembly into recognizable symbols (vars, functions etc...) Check out the book Debugging Applications by John Robbins. It''s got some great stuff if you want to know more about debugging.

Anyway, what you should do (and MS recommends that you do this during developement) is install the debug version of DX, and this will also install the pdb''s and stuff. If you want to use the ones out of the folder you were talking about, I think you''ll need to copy them to your windows\system directory on 98, or your winnt\system32 dir on NT...

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!