ip sharing with linux

Started by
5 comments, last by Abdullah 23 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I have a problem with my network at home. I have 2 computers accessing to the internet using LAN and one internet connection. Problem is; server is located 2.5m from my bed. Its fan is worse than an airplane. I am thinking of getting a new computer without a monitor, since doing so will decrease the money that i can spend for other hardware. I will not use it as a server. Instead, cyrix p200 will be the server( afterall it will be used only for ip sharing ). I have only 2 monitors. Therefor I thought that I can install linux into it and administer it remotely from my new machine( for free. Nearly every month magazines are giving new releases of linux here ). With windows98se it was easy to share an ip. Now, I have to do it with linux( in console mode, no xserver ). Is it possible to get it running? How should I configure my LAN and dialup? ( I have never used console to connect to the net ) P.S. I connect to my ISP using PPP/CHAP.
Advertisement
You have to set up something called IP Masquerading. There is an excellent HOWTO document on the topic that should either be in the /usr/docs/HOWTO directory if you have the HOWTOs archive (most distros do..) or at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html You''ll then just tell all the other machines on your LAN that the Linux box is the default gateway. Configure the ppp on the Linux box, and you''re up! For help on ppp, check out either the ppp setup program that comes with your distro (I know slackware has pppconfig or something.. I''m sure RedHat does too..) or take a look at the PPP-HOWTO, in the same place that you found the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO, above.
Easier than configuring ppp directly is to use wvdial, it''s definately included in the SuSE distribution, my personal favorite, but should be in Red Hat as well. Provided you are using a recent kernel 2.2.x or 2.3.x, you should be able to configure the masquerading by ipchains.

The bare minimum ipchain commands for masquerading are:

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ

Ok, techically you don''t need the first one, but it''s good practice.

Also, depending on your distribution you might need to activate forwarding by:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Also it helps if you make sure that the computer can boot without keyboard before you buy it. Some computers will hang during booting if they don''t detect a keyboard.
Linux really rocks when it comes to server and remote administration.

At this VERY moment, I have a telnet connection with one of my Linux servers at my company (over 10 miles away).
Of course, it could be 10,000 miles....

And, I am doing diagnostic work on the tape drive there.
Amazing.

Hell, I think I will go to the console again and eject the cd tray for fun....

I LOVE LINUX SERVERS!!!

-zebes

zebes@mindspring.com
zebes@mindspring.com
Forgot to mention the other night.

I opened a telnet session into an experimental linux server and not only recompiled the kernel (from my home), I also rebooted the server remotely and logged back in using the new kernel...

Let''s see windoze do that!!

...sorry, just rambling...also, trying to upgrade from an initiate.

-zebes

zebes@mindspring.com
zebes@mindspring.com
I use VNC server, I double click an icon I created to go to Linux. I like using VNC, except that the only thing between it and complete access to the computer is a password. Therefore, I have been able to successfully dual-boot both ways remotely . But booting Linux is more secure, it doesn't automatically start VNC. I like the fact that I can access Linux via Telnet.

Don't worry about getting out of being an initiate. Replying to the flames that people will send you will do that before you know it. I myself am actually very new to Gamedev!

Edited by - CobraA1 on 5/4/00 2:15:22 PM
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
Sorry...

this isn''t a general Linux help forum...

this is a cross-platform game development forum (it''s called Linux, but we now deal with all none Windoze based games in here).

If the question was relevent to games programming, I wouldn''t be peeved, but it wasn''t.

You should''ve gone to something like www.linux.org to look for help, not here.

Consider yourself spanked.

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement