• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Llamasoft.net

Where to start?

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, At the mo, Llamasoft is a small company dedicated to game development... however, in order to do so, I came up with a complex hypothesis: In order to program games, you''ve got to learn how to program So far progress has been limited to some small learning of C++ (the *only* language i''m interested in, for now), mainly because of school commitments, but i''m just getting some books and msvc++ 6 now, so it''s time to get down to it... The main problem i''m faced with is that whilst I understand many theories about game programming, I have very little idea how to implement them... Seeing as I am desperate to make a simple 2D platformer, the best method would appear to be a tile map using arrays, correct? Whilst I can understand arrays (pretty much) and conceive how a tile map works (I can even make the tiles ) I can''t string it all together and make a program out of it, even though there are many other aspects of 2D I can grasp easily... The main question then, is at what level should I start... The only C++ I have ever done is in Borland C++ Builder 3(yeah well it was free off a CD ), so I can understand much of how the basic language works, but I am used to being treated to a ''form'' in which I can fling ''pre-made'' shapes around... taking the step into DJGPP was difficult, and indeed without allegro I was stuck even getting into 320x200 VGA... Seeing as I''ll be getting better resources (msvc) very soon, is it better to skip this seemingly ''fundamental'' element of learning? i.e skip DOS based fun and move onto DirectX, even though that is surely a very patchwork approach to learning, as i''ll skip out many aspects and leap into the easier more welcoming world of DirectX... Is starting in DOS necessary in today''s world? What about all this Win32 guff I hear about? Any websites, _annotated_ source (on tile maps mainly - i''m keen on them ), or pointers as to which ''level'' to start on (assuming that I know some basic c++ anyway, and i learn quickly)... Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for any tips, pointers, or source you guys can provide... all help is very gratefully recieved... You''ll be seeing alot of me (and probably Llamasoft.net#2 - the ''second half'' of the company ) over the coming time, so get used to pathetic, waffling and ambiguous questions like these ! (P.S. Oh yeah if this is better off in ''the GDNet Lounge'', I apologize... I couldn''t decide... Nick - Head Designer, Llamasoft.net -- Visit our website... Llamasoft.net Games, goodies, and ingenuity

Advertisement
i think you would be much better starting a project like a game when you know all the basics of C/C++ if you haven''t already, you''ll find that you have to use almost eveything you learn. DX and Windows is probably the best way to go, but DX and Windows programming is confusing at first (it was to me at least). You shouldn''t worry about skipping the DOS stuff since DOS is Dead. Win32 is the interface that allows you to program for Windows (not 3.1) and use 32 bit instructions. There are tutorials on tile in the programming section of gamedev.

I hope this helps you a bit, the most important thing is probably to learn all the basics of C/C++.

+AA_970+

Yeah what he said, i would recommend you to get very familiar with C++. Until you feel very comfortable programming. Then move on to game programming. I would suggest for the type of game your talking about, you should by an Andre Lamother book such as:Tricks of the Windows Game programming Gurus.

Well well this is my sig
` Treize Khushrenada

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!