i hate this site's Forum Service

Started by
56 comments, last by DirectXXX 21 years, 3 months ago
To answer some questions:

Change ratings?

Yes. Just click rate user again and you can change your rating. You can also see a list of everyone you rated helpful on a tab in your private profile screen.

Big Buttons?

Yes, I dislike the big buttons too. It''s all Mikes fault. But worry not, as has been said the forums are skinable, so I''ll make sure (for my own good) that there is a purely "GDNet Classic" theme available.

Hierarcical Forum?

No, the posts themselves are still a flat model, and will likely stay that way. The forums themselves have been altered to allow a true hierarcical organization.
Advertisement
Lots of good stuff to look forward to, good work guys.

With regards to signatures:

It''s definitely a good idea to have the option of viewing sigs or not because they are often an abused privilege. However, many people use them productively, for instance with a link to their own sites (I will have a site of my own up and running soon, basically just my CV and games and stuff).
Anyway, my point is that perhaps there could be another way to include your home site on each post. Perhaps the users name could become a link if they have entered a homepage address in their profile, or another symbol in the title bar of the post next to profile and mail?

pan narrans
Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
I may have missed this info earlier in the thread, but whats the ETA for the forum switch? Perhaps a beta period of both systems being in use would be called for? (not sure how bandwidth eating that would be, but could be handy for an early trial run).
Personally i''d prefere to try an early beta than wait several months - especially since things like user rating really need a proper field test to tweek.
Looks good overall though
as long as I get an opion like:
don''t show lounge posts in "active topics" [x]
I''ll be happy
/ Martin
Just some points:

1-I really hate hierarchical forums. Because of their formatting, it''s very easy to miss important messages; or maybe sometimes you just don''t like to go very deep. That''s why I can''t read Slashdot''s forums much.

2-The search, oh my god the search. These forums are an incredbly helpful resource, and the search should make justice to them.

3-Avatars and whatnot: [censored] There''s really no polite word to explain how much I hate them. Man, I hate them more than HTML mail.

4-This color scheme is great! I''d like to hang whomever invented black text on white background. Wastes energy, burns our monitor and eyes etc.
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
I hate heirarchical forums such as FlipCode''s. As Outworlder said, they make it easy to miss messages. GameDev ensures that the latest messages will always be viewed. Plus, often a post is in reply to multiple posts. With GameDev, you just use multiple quotes.

Also I really do wish they''d activate the new forums. A beta-test would be nice if nothing else.

~CGameProgrammer( );
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by OrangyTang
I may have missed this info earlier in the thread, but whats the ETA for the forum switch? Perhaps a beta period of both systems being in use would be called for? (not sure how bandwidth eating that would be, but could be handy for an early trial run).
Personally i''d prefere to try an early beta than wait several months - especially since things like user rating really need a proper field test to tweek.
Looks good overall though

Not really possible. The new system is not 100% identical to the old one in the way it handles the data (the database structure has been modified to support the improvements). This means we will be running a one time conversion script to port all the old data into the new format.
quote:Original post by Outworlder
1-I really hate hierarchical forums. Because of their formatting, it''s very easy to miss important messages; or maybe sometimes you just don''t like to go very deep. That''s why I can''t read Slashdot''s forums much.

It will be the same as it always has been. The only hierarchical feature will be the forum layout which will *allow* (but it doesn''t have to) the forums themselves to be nested.

2-The search, oh my god the search. These forums are an incredbly helpful resource, and the search should make justice to them.

The new search is about a million times better than the old one. It''s extremely fast, and so far I''ve found the relavency ranking to be quiet good at ranking the results.

3-Avatars and whatnot: [censored] There''s really no polite word to explain how much I hate them. Man, I hate them more than HTML mail.

The closest thing to Avatars will be the premium member option of using their own custom icon (Like the one you see beside my posts, only you''ll still be able to use the regular ones)

4-This color scheme is great! I''d like to hang whomever invented black text on white background. Wastes energy, burns our monitor and eyes etc.

The new forums have "themes", and I will assure you there will be a pure "Classic" theme available that will look exactly like the current forums (with the exception of the added features, which will all fit in with the theme)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement