• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baskuenen

Animated 3D water drops

This topic is 6928 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hej coders, Currently I'm coding a 3D demo and I want to use water drops colliding and morphing into each other. I don't know the right word for it (is there one?), better explain it with a picture: Is there someone who can point me in a good direction? Thanks ahead, Bas. Edited by - baskuenen on 5/4/00 1:06:49 AM

Advertisement
that would not be an easy task at all. I know in a 3d modeler like trueSpace, things like that are handled with metaballs. Are far as how to make them is concerned, I have no idea.

Sorry I can''t be much more help, but you may want to check out metaballs.

<(o)>

I build a solid modeler with realtime blob support and I was surprised at how simple it was (for spheroids at least). The OpenGL modeler, GLModeler, can be found at www.wwu.edu/~n9544659/PsudSoft.htm
Included is a blob scene and text scene. Everything at my wwu address is a few years old, but the program is pretty decent. I''m also not a fan of giving away free code, but I''d be happy to answer any questions you have.
Basically it involves moving away from the center to a threshold distance where the strength, which decreases by 1/x or 1/(x^2) away from the center, just falls below the threshold. For one center, that''s a sphere. Multiple centers affect the strength at a given point in a blobular fashion.

Hope that helps
-RotoMuffin

Great links, good sites!
Thanx to you people I can continue my search, study and implemetation of METABALLS!
I''ve already read some articles about this, but none giving the actual click (yet).

P.S.: I agree. Free source code may be a good thing for some people, but I''ve never actually learned anything from it! Tutorials are the way to go, if you''d ask me. What''s the fun at copying the stuff. I''m a programmer (probably like you), not a copier!

Once implementation is done, maybe I''ll write a homepage tutorial on metaballs myself?

Work in progress...

So, thanks again. Metaballs will probably be included in next version of my demo...if you''re real interrested check back in a few weeks on my homepage linked to above...
Happy coding,
Bas.

I agree, copying others source is not a good way to learn. But you can learn from looking at others source if you bother to sit down and think about what the heck each line does.

- WitchLord

You''re right. I''m probably a bit too lazy to go through someone elses code.

At my former company, there was someone who just looked at a peace of source...and almost directly knew what it was all about. Great talent!

Maybe I should do this some more, and one day be as fast as this guy...
Bas.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!