• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New_one

Newbie question: Retained mode and Immediate mode

This topic is 6931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which is better for game development. Retained mode or Immediate mode? I know that this is a newbie question, but I just wanted to hear what you guys thought about it.

Advertisement
I''m currently converting a flight sim from RM to Directx7 IM. RM ran about 5fps at best with terrain in view. MS support seems to lean toward IM with DX7 - I wouldn''t be supprised if RM disappears in the future. While RM offers the convenience of "frames", which hide the matrix math, IM provides enough functionality for the coder to write simple transformations on his/her own. DX7 IM is somewhat simplified over DX5 and probably the best bet...

Retained Mode is an earlier part of D3D that is no longer been worked on by MS. It is a bit easier than Immediate Mode and is actually what I first started learning D3D with. However, MS has put forth a bit of effort into improving the use of use of Immediate Mode and it has shown in the recent version of DirectX. Their intent was to focus developers to use IM instead and what little use of RM there was is quickly fading away.

That's not all bad though. RM retained scene information for you (hence the name) but it sat on IM and offered less capability and poor performance.

IM is much faster and offers significantly greater power and control. I've found IM still not as easy to learn but managable. I think you'd quickly learn to appreciate all that it offers. Last, IM is the standard. Browse through these boards and you won't see too many RM questions and the industry almost exlusively uses IM (as opposed to RM). IM is quickly being improved and ease of use will hopefully continue in its positive direction. Point being: use IM!

Sieggy

Edited by - Sieggy on 5/5/00 7:14:32 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!