Stencil tutorial ???

Started by
3 comments, last by Castor3d 23 years, 11 months ago
I am a clueless newbie to all this OpenGL thing, i suck at programming but i find the results to be worth learning it. I have tried understanding stencils and how they work by reading at nvidias homepage, but alas i have failed in understanding anything. Now to the question. Is there anywhere on the web where i can read a tutorial (preferably for complete idiots, like me)?
Advertisement
I''m not that great myself but I may be able to help you a bit, what do you want to know?

I''ve used the stencil buffer before when doing my shadows project
check out
www.randomjon.redhotant.com
and let me know what you think...
Check out my shadows page and send me some feedback
I''m not that great myself but I may be able to help you a bit, what do you want to know?

I''ve used the stencil buffer before when doing my shadows project
check out
www.randomjon.redhotant.com
and let me know what you think...
Where did you learn about stencils, i mean if you learnt it from nvidias papers, you cant exactly be a couple a cans short of a sixpack like me.

ok i understand the theory behind it,(but i suck big time on maths) the problem for me is transfering that to practical use. i guess i am really looking for an extremely simple code to look at, like with only one light, nothing fancy like softshadows or anything that could clutter up my poor mind and above all heavly commented,

I really would like to use stencils in both shadows and reflections, but ill take one thing at the time, going slowly.

The shadows in your program is the kind i am after.
maybe ill be able to .....one day :-)
The place I learnt from was mark Kilgards stencil tutorial, which I must admit is a bit heavy but you can glean some stuff from it. When I was writing my dissertation Mark was always really helpful to me and sent me stuff so try e-mailing him. He may have an easier answer, i.e. a simpler tutorial. I''m not sure on that point though ''cos I never asked him.

The code in his paper on improving shadows and reflections using stencil is invaluable.
and if it is shadows you want to do try downloading my paper from the website. I think I''ve tried to explain things simply (cos I don''t really understand them fully) and e-mail me with any problems (it''s easier than using a mailing list)
randomjon@redhotant.com

I''ll try and simplify and explain things for you if I can.
The technique I use for doing shadows isn''t perfect, but it works especailly for simple scenes like the one in my program, and the soft shadows are just a bit of cheating suggested to me by Dr.Ian Badcoe head of R&D at infogrammes sheffield house (Sheffield is where I go to Uni)

if I can help you drop me a line.
what are you actually trying to do??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement