• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

epic709

Problem with mod of bracket's 3d in 2d isometric tile engine

This topic is 6923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, basically I studied the demos and have pretty much of it understood but there''s this artifact that i can''t seem to get rid of (happens when i scroll down) oh, I added scrolling with DirectInput and played around with the values of the variables to achieve faster scrolling. everything''s done in VC++ but I''d appreciate help from anybody at this point. my code is at www.geocities.com/epic709. you can''t miss it. thanx in advance for any help.

Advertisement
Good to see that people are still reading that article. :-) I was particularly fond of the modified version of one of my less helpful comments (TileEngine.cpp line 253):
// There is plenty of room to optimize these assignments. what does he mean by that??
For what its worth, I meant that you could precalculate ScreenX + 16, ScreenX + 32, ScreenY+32, ScreenY+64 - which guarantees that the values won''t be recalculated too often. You might also want to look at the typecast - int to float can be slow.

Anyway, your problem is that you are reading beyond the edge of the map. I found that by making the map array 64x128 (and extending the random map generator) the problem went away.

Hope that helps,
Bracket.

bracket,

your solution works fine and thanks for clearing up the ambiguous comment. now I can feel free to proceed to loading multiple textures and layering. Thanx again. Will be posting an updated version of my code soon (hopefully).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!