• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jumble

Writing games for consoles

This topic is 6930 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just out of curiousity - how are games for game consoles written? I presume they''re written on a PC - but which language? And do you need special hardware to write the cartridges / CDs? Or special software for normal CD burners? Do they use their own APIs? Appreciate any decent URLs as im quite interested in how this is done. Thanks

Advertisement
I''m not sure how exactly console games are made, but they''re not too different from any normal PC game. I do know, though, that you need to get a license from the company (eg: Playstation, Nintendo) and obtain a development kit (which costs monet!).

GO LEAFS GO!

Writing for consoles is similar in some ways to writing games for the PC. Typically, C/C++ is used, and the APIs are often similar. On the console I''m working with, the graphics are programmed using an API that is similar (not exact, but close) to OpenGL.

While the cartridges and CDs are usually (I think) manufactured by Sony/Nintendo/Sega/Etc, there is often special hardware necessary for the actual development process. If you look around the web, though, for some of the fan developer pages, they sometimes build their own hardware solutions. For example, Bung makes an inexpensive piece of hardware that plugs into the computer''s parallel port and write Gameboy cartridges. Certainly a lot cheaper than official tools, although not usually as easy to use.

As far as URLs, sorry I can''t help you there. I would be hanged for providing any of the URLs I know...

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!

Since I will be PlayStation2 programming this summer, I know a bit about it. You use a PC with a Dev Kit (about $20,000). The dev kit is basically a PC interface to the PS2 hardware. Generally programs are written in C or C++ and console specific assembly language.

Mike

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!