• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voodoo

PR joint effort. Flow

This topic is 6926 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Who ever is involved in this project, what ever you are doing, please stop it now!!! We have to all gather up and make decisions! All together! If you get ideas hold them and keep them for the gather dont go off implementing things! And before anything, one step at time!

Advertisement
I agree... theres lots of things to discuss (per example what character system shall we use and I was also thinking we need more people working on this to work faster) we should definetily meet. I think ICQ is definetely the best choice... but unfortunately most of us, work on diferent time frames, so If needed we may need to open up a forum for the project. Also we must try to keep contact everyday.
Also an ICQ meeting after hours will be ahgreat idea.

However I think we are going well... heres what he have decided... that is not yet posted in the webpage. (just to make it shorter)

-who is coding what...
-some code conventions...
-We will use C++, due to many reasons...
-I think we havent really agreed on this.. but. points per work, in case they are profits on the way...

I reconsidered, I think we dont need to stop, as a matter of fact I think we need to accelerate. start sending code you are working now, and we will turn the website in a cvs repository...

By the way...
the following tasks are assigned but need help...

-winsock lobby interface...
-Portal and terrain implementation...
-creature/vehicle/weapon 3d modeller *you are doing a great job darrin but an extra hand could really help! to get the proyect going
-experienced skinner/animator. (*same here!)

im going to say this, just to make sure we are on the same idea boat here, have you seen the latest Halo screenshots? I think thats exactly what we are talking about, however dark apocalypse will have more gore and a more "realistic" feeling starship trooper style more crude not star wars like at all get it? you agree with me?

in my imagination a classic scene of dark apocalypse is this: a multiplayer game starts, a ship drops you in a desert planet in front of you a friend you know, says "this is it! here they come!" he is wearing (his avatar at least) a futuristic desert storm like soldier uniform, then you notice a hovercraft passing by leaving clouds of sand behind, you notice its turrets are aiming towards then more vehicles appear passing you by.
then many men on foot start running forward screaming *I think we can add sounds that start with a key, duke nukem style* yuo follow them with your view forward and you notice the sandstorm is a bunch of enormous creatures heading your way.
you arm yourself and start running and screaming towards too. explosions ocur everywhere, the slashers literally cut your friends in 2, you quickly reach for the bazooka aim and fire, slashers pieces fall everywhere, then you run towards and take the ammo your friends dropped. you take the vulcan gun and start shooting your way into the carnage. your surviving friends join you and start talking battle plans..

hmm... could be... but no that was actually a descripion of the actual game, cool uh?

Im working on the camera movements right now.. well have first and third person perspective (tomb raider style)

Like I said I just want to know if your idea of the game is a bit close to mine.

By the way I was thiking that perhaps we can make demos (with source of each thing) of he sections we are working on, upload them and then mix them, so we can see what everybody else is doing, using the land1 template. what do you think?

Well ..seems like a good idea ... ARz .. voodoo can u be more secific ..
Who''s will be doing the integration part ???

Nat

It''s all greate and cool and all, but the problem is we have no structure and we wont be able to do the work.

Another Azrael, remind me to send you the lib files

ok... if by structure you mean a design document I agree with you lets build one with the information we have and discuss in whatever points may be missing, Remember we are currently building "parts" the code we are working on is probably not final and is open to change, so theres nothing to get upset about, a design document now will come at perfect timing.

However in game design you must have a bit of flexibility for 3 things bad and good:

1.- there is a chance some ideas may not work when mixed, so you must have a replacement, per example the portal /terrain idea or even something more simpler looking like saving a game in a certain situation just doesnt work!... I know it sucks when this happens but believe me "it happens"

2.- this will sound corny I know, but it is true, game developing is both a science and an art, by designing a super elaborate design document and following it by the thumb you are killing any "last moment cool idea" you may have, which is bad, and you will notice it, have you ever play a game that looks like it doesn''t have a "soul" of its own? that you feel like you are using an app instead of a game? that''s the reason why that happens.

3.- Game developing is a moving target, what is considered an standard today will be "dated" or "lame" tomorrow, a game must evolve somehow under development to keep the pace, of course this gives a larger development time (example: perfect dark) but the results are damn worth it much better that those if you don''t and want to keep a "dated" style (ex. daikatana, sorry guys but it is true).

What do you think?

p.s. voodoo Yes Im reminding you, please send me the libs!!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!