• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ut

How is a game put together?

This topic is 6930 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, the title is maybe a bit misleading. What I really want to know is how does a game like mario 64 or castlevania code up the levels? Like is there some giant switch that says something like switch ( flag ) { case LEVEL_1 : Do_level_1(); break; case LEVEL_2 : Do_level_2(); break; ... } In Castlevania for the N64, it started me wondering whenever I jumped on this conveyor platform in the tunnels section. How did the game know to check that platform? It can''t be checking all platforms in the whole game, right? So it must be culling it down somehow. So are all the levels just hard coded in, or is there usually some type of scripting language that is developed so that levels can be made more readily. I think I''m seeing it more clearly as I write about it, but I just thought I''d see how others thought a whole "game" is put together counting how the levels are involved and connected. Ut

Advertisement
Arg! that stumps me too..I know earlyer versions of my failed programs.
there was, (ff clone) a sub procedure for every level spell, because damage was different..
well maybe they have alot of general procedures, which take different type of arguments...
tables of things to do..
and you pass that the char is on whatever, whereever...and the procedure knows the get platform code? I dunno...i''m dumb..but ohwell.interested in others opinions.

I am making an RPG that does the thing you''re talking about. Walking out of an area (level) and enter a new one. It is tile-based but the information might be useful to you. I have different tile types (block, walkover, warppoint, etc). I have also declared 32 added descriptions for tiles. One of them I will point to the warppoint. Using the information in it, you can enter a different area (which I will load from a file). So that means every time you walk you have a collision detection procedure to check if you have just stepped on a warppoint.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!