Animation in 3D

Started by
4 comments, last by steve_bruce 21 years ago
Hi Guys Has anyone here bought the excellent book OpenGL superbible 2nd edition. It''s a great read and I''ve learnt a lot from it. Anyway here''s the question... I''m starting a game like Diablo and Baldurs Gate but in full 3D so you can move the camera around and see different angles. But how would I go about animating a 3D character (in OpenGL) created in something like 3DSMax. How do you tell OpenGL to move the arms and legs so you can make him walk and swish his sword etc. Would the arms,legs and head have to be seperate objects. And could you somehow do specific animations in say 3DSMax of him swishing his sword and somehow incorporate that into OpenGL somehow. Pheww lot''s there, but I hope someone can help. I don''t want to start something I can''t finish.
Advertisement
For every frame you have to use glPushMatrix() for each limb, then make the transformations to put it into the correct position with the correct orientation, draw it and call glPopMatrix() to get again the original matrix which was on top of matrix stack before glPushMatrix.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
From what I''ve learned, you do all the animation in 3ds or what ever software.. and you load them into opengl and interpolate each frame. Of course you will have to write you own loader.
Is there a tutorial for that somewhere? I cannot find one.
Use skeleton animation... You should first set skeletons and its animations of your cherectors and load it into your program just like quakeIII does... I think it''s the best way to animate your cherectors...

You can use MilkShape3D to do that , ''cause the model file is very easy to load... You can also find source code to load its model file on its site
HERE
Real soon now has a great tutorial on it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement