• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruno

OpenGL win32 or glut in opengl???

This topic is 6930 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I was just curious , in knowing, in which windows management system most people is developing their engines/aplications ?? Are you using the win 32 api, or the glut windows system? Which one do you think is better, and why? thanks Bruno

Advertisement
Hi Bruno,
you can''t say which one is better. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Glut is portable to win32, linux and solaris. And it is easier to use. You can easily write a multi OpenGL window application or a fullscreen game. When you use glut you dont have to think about keyboard and mouse support.

BUT the mouse support is very limited, so you might want to write your own. Apart form that you, usually hava a console startup window in win32, unless you dont use a window library with glut.

I personally prefer using the Win32 API myself just because then I feel like I have more power to control the details. If you''ve never done it before, I would suggest writing an OpenGL window management system from the ground up using just the Win32 API because I think that gives you a greater understanding of what is really going on. Once you have that understanding, if you want to use GLUT as a shortcut, go ahead.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!