• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pinheadone

HAL device slower than RGB device ???!!

This topic is 6929 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a really bad problem. I'm new at the Direct3D Immidiate Mode ( DX7 ) and tried to render a cube. When i moved the cube with pressing the key it was so slow that the scene reacts 2 seconds later. Later i realized that with using IID_IDirect3DRGBDevice as GUID rather than IID_IDirect3DHALDevice it moved quite smoothly ( better than with the HAL ). This is unexplainable to me cause i own a RivaTNT card which supports the HAL... But if i choose the HAL in the Direct3D Immidiate Mode examples ( this ones using the framework ) the HAL is driving normal speed...???? Can some one help me ???? PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mail to me : simmich@htw-saarland.de THANKS Edited by - Pinheadone on 5/5/00 12:16:31 PM

Advertisement
Funny enough I had the same problem in DirectDraw, with my other computer.
In hardware it can only run about 20 fps no-matter the game, but in software it runs 30-35 fps or higher!!

And the card did support hardware-blitting, and had plenty of memory (8 MB).
I fixed this by reinstalling Windows.
(I think this somehow was caused by a bad IExplore version, which made my pc go crazy!)

I had something which sounds similar once. I decided to stop using plain lists of vertices for my objects and went a little more structured: render ''object'' classes, which contain a list of ''sides'', each of which contain a triangle strip. Now, the number of DrawPrimitive calls went up slightly due to this method, but the actual difference was that whereas I used to get about 20-40 fps (never measured it accurately, sorry - I just know it was perfectly smooth to me), it ground to a halt and gave me 0.2 - 0.5 fps (ie. a frame every 2 to 5 seconds) when I rendered it this new way. In the end I converted all my objects except 1 back to the original way, and the game ran fine until I looked at the object represented in the new way, and then it slowed right down again. I asked in a few places why this could be (not sure if here was one of them though. I think maybe I just posted on flipcode and one of the newsgroups), and got no useful answer, so I actually gave up with that 3D engine. I was using a Voodoo1 so, if it''s the same problem, it doesn''t appear to be chipset specific.

I had that problem too. I solved that problem just be drawing more... sounds strange, I know... but If you don''t render anything to the screen (but you do flip the screen) then your system will seem to hang for several seconds... So you can do two things
1 Just draw more polys
2 Add a delay routine in the render loop

I think that this problem occurs because you send Render calls too quick... the HAL device will batch much Render calls and therefor it seems like nothing happened.

i''ve got the same problem,too.then i run a 3d test software,the AGP transfor rate is 66Mb/sec(My card is TNT2 32Mb Video RAM).but in my computer just 10~15Mb/Sec.
I update my Mainboard AGP Driver,so i solved the problem

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!