• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jherax

OpenGL and Lightmaps

This topic is 6924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greets, Does anyone have any information about using lightmaps with OpenGL apps? I know games such as the Quake series use these, but there seems to be a lack of information about them on the net. Any help would be appreciated. Thx. Tristan ''Jherax'' Blease jherax@planetquake.com

Advertisement
Light maps are just textures really, but with the static scene lighting calculated. To generate them you have to have all the static scene geometry and lighting set up and then you calculate the lighting for that using one of the better known rendering techniques (offline) such as raytracing or radiosity. The information this generates is saved as textures to overlay over the textures for the object, so it''s really just multi-texturing...
or something like that anyway....

Check out my shadows page
and send me some feedback

Ermm... perhaps I should have rephrased my question. I know that lightmaps are textures (the pixel values of the lightmap texture are multiplied with those of the source texture). What I am really looking for is how to generate those textures . I will look up some more information about radiousity, as that seems to produce more realistic lighting.

Tristan ''Jherax'' Blease
jherax@planetquake.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!