• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArchV

Direct3D T&L HAL

This topic is 6925 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got a GeForce 256 DDR card (the WinFast version) and I fired up the project I''m working on expecting it to fly using the T&L HAL. Well, it IS using the T&L HAL and it IS faster... however, there''s one big problem: In the device caps for lighting, dvMaxActiveLights = 8 ??? I''m a bit confused by this, it goes from Unlimited in normal HAL to 8 in T&L HAL. What I''m working on definately has more than 8 lights in it, and it works fine in normal HAL, only about 5-10 fps slower. That''s a pretty serious limitation if that''s accurate, someone let me know if it''s definately capped at 8, or if something strange with my hardware/software. Thanks!

Advertisement
That is a correct number. the GeForce Architecture only supports 8 hardware transformed lights. The rest are transformed in software on that card. Future versions will expand on this. What you can do is only use the hardware transformed lights on things that are close up or on the things that really need it. you can use less computationally intensive method (ie lightmaps) on the rest of the geometry.

Ahh tnanks for the prompt reply. Interesting problem is that if you do attempt to set more than 8 lights active, it starts turning off the first ones that you turned on. So apparently, unless I just go normal HAL mode, I''ll be limited to 8 lights in T&L. It doesn''t intelligently render the rest of the lights in normal HAL if it goes over the max for the T&L device.

I definately agree about lightmaps... I''m a bit far along in the project (school project) to try to implement lightmaps, because it''s due next Thursday!

Valuable info, thanks. I was about to be pissed at the GeForce... then I ran Quake3...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi!

Well actually you have 8 active lights per triangle! You can render one triangle with 8 lights active, then define new lights and render another triangle!
So if your scene has more than 8 lights you have to somehow group your meshes so that you turn on the lights wich affect the mesh-group and then render them. Most of the lights don''t affect all the triangles in the scene!

hope you go my point!

Steve

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!