Pre-Transformations

Started by
17 comments, last by nes8bit 23 years, 11 months ago
I understand what you mean with PRE-transformations, I don''t understand what you mean with the vertices being projected though.

Please tell me what transformation matrix you use and how you compute the vertex transformation.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement

Ok this is a drawing of what happens when I transform like this:

Transformed(I).X = matSet.rc11 * x + matSet.rc21 * y + matSet.rc31 * z + matSet.rc41
Transformed(I).Y = matSet.rc12 * x + matSet.rc22 * y + matSet.rc32 * z + matSet.rc42
Transformed(I).Z = matSet.rc13 * x + matSet.rc23 * y + matSet.rc33 * z + matSet.rc43

That is a world matrix that I am using for the pre-transformation.

The starting cube looks fine until you rotate it 90 degrees. It ends up turning into paper. Now both sides of that image are pre-transformed. They were just transformed again by directx when I sent a world matrix to the device.

Edited by - nes8bit on May 10, 2000 6:08:15 PM
OOPS! Screw me silly...for some strange reason the transformation works now. I don''t know what I did wrong the last time. What I did this time is I switched the type of object that I wanted to transform. I WAS using a bezier patch but now I am using a cube and a sphere. It shouldn''t make a difference though. Thanks anyway sp...uh crap...witchlord.
I'm flattered that you actually know my previous nick was Spellbound, not many do. Not that I have bothered to tell everyone.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working. I can't see any error in your transformation formula so I don't know what your problem was either. And you're right it shouldn't matter that it is a bezier patch you're transforming, in fact you should be able to just transform the bezier patch's control points and then compute the surface from the transformed points.

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on May 11, 2000 8:05:38 AM

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Yeah, when SpellBound mysteriously disappeared, I went off to the member profiles. I suddenly noticed that www.witchlord.com was also SpellBounds web page. Anyhoo, since we are on the topic, why did you change your name? Too much popularity?

Also, about the bezier patch, I know it has nothing to do with the transformations, but I think it just appeared to be messed up.
The reason why I changed nickname was not due to popularity, it was in fact several small things that finally made me give up my Saint status:

• I was tired of my old nick
  • I was searching for a domain name that I could call my own
  • I found a game company called Spellbound Software
  • www.spellbound.com was bought by some domain name monger
  • I like WitchLord
  • There are hardly any references to WitchLord when you search for it on the net, at least if you exclude those roleplaying and book references
  • I felt like it

Now that we are off topic anyway, what kind of performance do you have combining Direct3D and Visual Basic? I''m mainly curious, but I have a feeling that it is pretty good. Not as good as with c++, but still good.

- WitchLord

Performance is good. As you said, not as good as C++, but good. Performance varies since I do not have a full-blown out demo. It is all just features like curves, particles, collisions, alphablending, plugins, etc.

If you would like, I could send you a demo of what I have currently. There is only one other person on gamedev that I sent it to so, you'll be a "lucky one." I only send this demo to vb-believers. But, before I send you a demo(if you want it), what 3d card do you have if any?

Edited by - nes8bit on May 11, 2000 12:34:47 AM
Yes, I would be interested in seeing your project(s). You can send it to: aj@witchlord.com.

I have a GeForce 256 accelerator.

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on May 12, 2000 8:09:02 AM

Here's the link to the engine:

--2MB Download--
28.8 : 20min.
56k : 7min.
DSL : >1min

(Information not to scale )

I WAS going to just send it to you, but I'm sure that there are some VB beLIEvers that want to see this and some non-beLIEvers that need to be converted...

Edited by - Anonymous Poster on May 13, 2000 1:11:40 AM

Edited by - nes8bit on May 13, 2000 1:44:16 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement